PDA

View Full Version : novel deck posts

John Arnold
07-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Never seen deck posts made from 3 2X4s instead of a 4X4 or 6X6. Buried in dirt, too, but that's pretty much par for the course around here.

John Kogel
07-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Carpenter ants and termites really go for those wood sandwiches. :)

Inspector 3500
07-23-2009, 10:32 PM
The picture seems to show the 2x4 post with a greenish tint, is it treated lumber?

It looks like the structure in contact with the ground is also a problem.

Bruce Allen
07-24-2009, 07:41 AM
1. Typically 2X4 treated members are not “suitable for ground contact”. A built-up post is an acceptable design method, with the proper loads calculated.
2. It appears the band boards do not match in color or age. What is the band board on the left bearing on?
3. Where the 2 dissimilar band boards meet, there is a notch. How is the guardrail post positively connected to the band board?
4. The absence of a post to beam connector is questionable.
5. Depending on the height, what about lateral bracing?

Stuart Brooks
07-24-2009, 08:18 AM
I have seen the boards separating. I have observed only nails binding three 2x6, and they were too few and too short. The post assemblies were buried in the ground. The decks I have seen built this way were purchased from the Big Orange Box Store and installed by one of their authorized contractors.

While I can see the cost benefit, I wonder if anyone bothered with obtaining engineering data that would back the use of 3 boards nailed together in place of solid timber? I will contact Virginia Tech. Perhaps someone could contact Georgia Tech?

Jim McMillan
07-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Is it possible that the section of deck on the L is an addition to the original thus different band color and a possible reason for the "notch" behind the baluster? Just a thought.

J-Mc

Roy Cooke sr
07-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Deck Safety « Archadeck (http://archadeck.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/deck-safety/)

http://www.wlwt.com/news/20179560/detail.html (http://www.wlwt.com/news/20179560/detail.html)

www.DeckFailure.com - The Official Website of Michael Leavitt & Co Inspections (http://www.deckfailure.com/)

85% of the decks I inspect have some thing wrong.
Incorrect Ledger board fastening ( Screws or nails )( No flashing. )
Not correct nails or screws in Hangers or no hangers.
Bad rails to low incorrect Spindle gap over 4 inches or Latice work or Benches all Great for Climbing .

Remember write hard talk soft miss nothing.

Roy Cooke ... RHI...

John Arnold
07-27-2009, 06:53 AM

Remember write hard talk soft miss nothing...

Not sure what "talk soft" means. I would expect problems if my written report is worded significantly stronger than my words during the inspection.

Roy Cooke sr
07-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Some inspectors have been known to get clients excited with seeing a typical shrink crack in a foundation .
So I talk soft but make sure I have it written up in my report.
I make sure my voice is always flat as some people can get excited just by tone and what is said .
Example I went into the attic and saw 18 inches of insulation , I said under my breath Holly COW.
I came down and the client was nervious,She had heard what I said and was excited and wondered what was wrong.
After much explaining about how I had never seen 18 inches of insulation and how it was the best I had seen.
I now make sure to never talk to my self .

Roy Cooke ... RHI...

dave koloskee
08-08-2009, 02:50 PM
ray,

i get your point and i try to be conscious of doing the same thing - conveying information verbally without being overly dramatic. as easy ( and fun!) as it is to bash realtors in these forums, we do have to interact with them effectively to survive and hopefully grow our businesses, so the communication aspect is one i try to work on. it's easy for me to slip though and then you're spending time trying to explain yourself and/or calm the buyers & realtors down.

Bob R
08-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Speaking softly regarding concerns is just what all Reators would prefer. Providing the Client with a detailed description of what negative potential a concern does or could have is the inspectors responsibility, unless the inspector's fee is being paid by the Realtor, if you know what I mean.

Roy Cooke sr
08-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Speaking softly regarding concerns is just what all Reators would prefer. Providing the Client with a detailed description of what negative potential a concern does or could have is the inspectors responsibility, unless the inspector's fee is being paid by the Realtor, if you know what I mean.

I do know home inspectors who can get a client upset just with tone of voice.
Not needed proper explanation with full information is required .
By putting incorrect emphasis in our voice can get a client excited and they no longer hear what we say.
I am not there for the Agent ,I am there for the client only.
Who pays me has no bearing on my inspection.

Roy Cooke ...RHI...