PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii insp

Markus Keller
07-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi guys, one of my best friends from high school lives in Hawaii these days. Yeah, poor bastard I know. Anyway, he's looking to buy a house. Unfortunately he isn't rich enough to fly me out there.
Does anyone know of a good Hawaii inspector? Heard of one? Are one?
If you do checkbox or deliver the report at the end of the inspection, please don't call me. I can't refer you.
Anyone else call or post and we'll chat.
Thanks Markus

Jerry Peck
07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Unfortunately he isn't rich enough to fly me out there.

Marcus,

I'll charge less to be flown out there than you do. Can I bring my wife too? :D

Looks like tickets will be about $1,200. Does he have room for two to spend a week there?

$1,200 is reasonable for an inspection in Hawaii, isn't it?

Heck, I'll kick in the extra $200 and make it an even $1,000. :D

Ron Bibler
07-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi guys, one of my best friends from high school lives in Hawaii these days. Yeah, poor bastard I know. Anyway, he's looking to buy a house. Unfortunately he isn't rich enough to fly me out there.
Does anyone know of a good Hawaii inspector? Heard of one? Are one?
If you do checkbox or deliver the report at the end of the inspection, please don't call me. I can't refer you.
Anyone else call or post and we'll chat.
Thanks Markus

Your buddy is going to need and old dog termite inspector to look at his new home. Some one that has been there for a long tie and understands the Island. Most new construction in the Islands is with treated timbers or metal framing due to Formosan subterranean termites. these guys are the real players. they will eat a house down unlike any other termite. they don't eat a bit and move on they eat every thing as they go.

Find an old dog termite inspectors first. then get your home inspector set up.

Best

Ron

John Arnold
07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Which island? My sister in law lives on Maui and has been involved in real estate. She probably knows a good inspector.

Markus Keller
07-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Honolulu, that's the main island right? I was only there once for his wedding. They are looking in the 'central district', pretty sure that's what he called it. Let me know if your Sis knows anyone.
'Formosan' you're making that up Ron? I'm going to google it in a minute.
Thanks Markus

A.D. Miller
07-28-2009, 02:53 AM
Honolulu, that's the main island right? I was only there once for his wedding. They are looking in the 'central district', pretty sure that's what he called it. Let me know if your Sis knows anyone.
'Formosan' you're making that up Ron? I'm going to google it in a minute.
Thanks Markus

MK: I would begin by interviewing these guys:

Find an inspector results | ASHI, American Society of Home Inspectors (http://www.ashi.org/find/results.aspx?st=2&metroAreaID=26&neighborhoodID=155)

Jerry Peck
07-28-2009, 07:31 AM
'Formosan' you're making that up Ron?

Markus,

Ron is not making them up, they are hungry little buggers.

We had some in South Florida and they are slowly spreading ... HAVE slowly spread. Formosan Subterranean Termites (http://www.termite.com/termites/formosan-subterranean-termite.html)

I took several continuing education classes under Dr. Su who did many Formosan termite experiments in Hawaii and then in South Florida when Formosan termites started showing up down there.

Dr. Sue discovered that most buildings with Formosan termites are actually infested by more than one colony.

Markus Keller
07-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Damn, those are some nasty critters.
Thanks for the link Jerry. I'll pass it on. Thanks for the heads up Ron.
Whenever I read about these sorts of things, I'm glad I live in a place with cold winters that kills things.
Are you sure about the ASHI, referral AD, shouldn't I be calling Nachi?:D
Thanks

Scott Patterson
07-28-2009, 07:46 AM
I would call Michael Woodbury, I have known Michael for about 10 years, he is on the "Big Island". 808-322-5174

John Ghent
07-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Paul L Signore Signore Building Inspection Services, Inc. Contact details (808) 876-0170

ASHI member for many years, on Maui for 12 to 15 years. Go to the ASHI web site and search on Hawaii for other good inspectors that serve all the islands.

Brandon Whitmore
07-28-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm surprised you guys aren't bidding on this, and using the trip as a business write off. :D The only one jumping at it so far is Jerry.

John Ghent
07-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Too long a ride. Besides, I couldn't find an airline that would take my 28' ladder.

Jerry Peck
07-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Too long a ride. Besides, I couldn't find an airline that would take my 28' ladder.

Rent one, put it on top of the rented Hummer. It's "for business use" ... :D

Have some magnetic signs made up for the rented Hummer, take a photo of it being used "for business" ... :D

Jerry McCarthy
07-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Reliable sources have reported that the frass from Formosan subterranean termites is sent to mainland China where they make gypsum board out of it.