PDA

View Full Version : Rafter Splice - Staples

RobertSmith
08-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Has anyone every seen rafter splices stapled together? I've never seen this before; I've only seen them scabbed together. It's a 1999 home and I didn't see any visible evidence of structural movement. Seems to work.

Is stapling proper? Okay? Noteworthy?

thanks,

Rob

John Kogel
08-02-2009, 01:28 PM
You're not talking about trusses are you? What size rafters and stapled in what way? Did they use truss plates?

RobertSmith
08-02-2009, 01:48 PM
stick framed, not truss. 2x8 rafters over a long run, so they spliced the rafters together.

The Builder used staples, not plates. Staples as in staples. Like staples for shingles, but thicker guage. A zillion of them along the splice of the butt-ends of the two rafters they spliced together.

Jerry Peck
08-02-2009, 01:58 PM
stick framed, not truss. 2x8 rafters over a long run, so they spliced the rafters together.

The Builder used staples, not plates. Staples as in staples. Like staples for shingles, but thicker guage. A zillion of them along the splice of the butt-ends of the two rafters they spliced together.

No.

Unless some structural engineer has signed off on that, or is willing to again if one did and there is no paperwork trail with a signed and sealed engineer's letter.

From your description, though, a simple "No." seems sufficient.

Not that photos would change the answer, but photos would sure be nice.

RobertSmith
08-02-2009, 02:05 PM

Randy Cooper
08-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Has anyone every seen rafter splices stapled together? I've never seen this before; I've only seen them scabbed together. It's a 1999 home and I didn't see any visible evidence of structural movement. Seems to work.

Is stapling proper? Okay? Noteworthy?

thanks,

Rob

What, rafters spliced together? Are they spied end to end to create a longer span. Or are the spliced one on top of another to created a deeper rafter? An end splice can’t be done with out some sort engineering and to use staples, me thinks not. Rafters should be continuous plate to ridge.

RobertSmith
08-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Nope...the spliced rafters are end-to-end to create a long run. Man I wish I had my camera!

Rob

Jeffrey L. Mathis
08-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Man, I don't even like finger jointing, but I see it more and more. Gotta have an engineer's seal.
JLMathis

Mitchell Toelle
08-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Nope...the spliced rafters are end-to-end to create a long run. Man I wish I had my camera!

Rob

Tell us why you don't routinely take pictures at your inspections, pleeease.

RobertSmith
08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Tell us why you don't routinely take pictures at your inspections, pleeease.

I never said that I don't routinely take pictures at inspections....i said I wish I had my camera. It died recently.

Nevertheless, I don't find it value-added to include pictures in my report, at least for the home inspection part of my biz.

A.D. Miller
08-05-2009, 04:06 AM
It sounds like an idiot framer butt spliced the rafters and tagged the butts with a framing stapler. Typical duct-tape craftsmanship. Must be from Texas.