PDA

View Full Version : basement escape window

Markus Keller
08-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi guys, looked at a house with the basement escape window in place. Everything looked fine except ... exterior window well level is 12" below the window sill. Doesn't seem right to me, seems like a hazard. Shouldn't that area be level or close to the window sill? Anyone know a reference? I rarely see these things in the City.
Thanks, Markus

Ron Bibler
08-03-2009, 02:56 PM
I think as long as you can stand up and get out you should be OK. With that 12 inch.

We just about never see basements in Calif.

Best

Ron

Bill Goromby
08-04-2009, 07:37 AM
i know of no ht. requirement between sill and ground level except you need a fixed ladder to get out of the well if more than 44 inches below grade. local codes may differ, but I've never seen otherwise.

Jerry Peck
08-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Look at it this way: Is there a maximum height requirement for a first floor window above grade?

Only that if it is more than 44" above grade then it needs to be 5.7 sf instead of 5.0 sf in size.

If the interior sill height is 44" or less in height, then up and out the window you go.

Tumble down 3 feet and break your leg on the ladder nearby, now all you have to do is climb up that ladder with a broken leg.

Meets code.

No Problem. :eek:

Markus Keller
08-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. From the window sill to grade is only about 24". So from the recessed grade below the window sill to actual grade is only about 36".
I guess my concern is that if while actually trying to get out the window the 12" drop could cause surprise and injury, slowing escape for others behind the 1st person.
If someone is rushing to get out, the 1' drop may be a bit of a surprise, they sprain their wrist, blah, blah. Maybe I'm just over thinking it. :confused:

Bill Goromby
08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
as long as you get out alive, the code is happy.

Jerry McCarthy
08-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Dwarf fireman saves young girl ! ;)