PDA

View Full Version : Garage door threshold

Matthew Barnicle
08-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Overhead garage doors - at the threshold area - I see houses that have a small step formed into the concrete slab- presumably to prevent moisture entry and possibly to prevent the door from blowing in during high winds (I live in Florida). I have also seen new construction with the step missing. Is it a requirement in new construction?

Scott Patterson
08-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Overhead garage doors - at the threshold area - I see houses that have a small step formed into the concrete slab- presumably to prevent moisture entry and possibly to prevent the door from blowing in during high winds (I live in Florida). I have also seen new construction with the step missing. Is it a requirement in new construction?

The little curb you are talking about is very common in my area, middle TN. As for it being required? It is not in my area, but I don't know about the FL building code. I really can't see it as a requirement, but then you never know.

The main purpose from what I have been told is to keep water from being blown under the door and into the garage.

Jerry Peck
08-06-2009, 10:12 AM

The main purpose from what I have been told is to keep water from being blown under the door and into the garage.

Not a code requirement, just a "common sense" requirement.

Builders who do not do that lack "common sense".

As you and Scott said, it is to keep water from blowing in under the door, but the floor is concrete and sloped to drain out that door anyway, so other than storage in that immediate area which may get wet there is no real harm, besides, the door SHOULD seat tight against the garage floor all the way along its bottom anyway and little, if any, water should be blowing in under it.

With or without that recess the most wind blown rain will be in around the bottom sides of the door with the recess just serving as added protection.

Again, "common sense" ... which is all too "uncommon" these days.