View Full Version : Clarification needed

dan orourke
06-05-2007, 02:18 PM

Bruce Breedlove
06-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Wind bracing is most likely the bracing installed to brace the gable ends (usually a 2X4 at 45° from the top of the gable to the bottom chord of a truss or ceiling joist).

Jim Robinson
06-05-2007, 03:44 PM
OK, I'll go. What is a J truss? I haven't heard that term before.

Eric Barker
06-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Closest I can think of is squash blocks for I-joists.
J-trusses - never heard of that term.

Jerry Peck
06-05-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm assuming that "j-trusses" are jack trusses, as in those used in hips.

Typically you will have hip step down trusses (or hip trusses, depending on the truss designer, I usually see hip step down trusses), and hip jack trusses, these attach to the last step down truss (or to the hip trusses) and extend out to the wall.

Wind bracing would be diagonal bracing.

Have no idea what "pressure blocking" is.

Jim Robinson
06-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Good. I don't feel so dumb. When I hear "pressure blocking" I think of squash blocks along the TJI man. wood joists. It doesn't sound right in this application, though.