PDA

View Full Version : brick movement

Randall Clark
08-10-2009, 09:06 PM
What typically causes brick to drop like at this corner? Just this upper corner above the roof - no issues below it.

Jim Luttrall
08-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Looks like lack of support and the flashing has probably compromised any structural integrity that was to be had.

A.D. Miller
08-11-2009, 03:48 AM
What typically causes brick to drop like at this corner? Just this upper corner above the roof - no issues below it.

RC: As JL alluded to it is a structural issue. The support detail for brick-on-roof installation is one that is often botched by today's "carpenters".

Depending on the age of the home, whatever settlement is going to happen due to poor framing techniques, has happened. In my area the three 2X6s that should underly this mess are required to be pressure-treated material, lag-screwed as per the code. What I usually find is untreated material nailed into place. Sometimes they even leave out the steel angle.

Even if they used treated wood, that wood has a tendency to shrink more than the untreated lumber, thus causing movement over time. Combined with poorly fitting joints, a lot of movement can be experienced.

Repair of the bricks and flashing should make things look better, assuming you don't hire someone from the original builder or contractor.

Raymond Wand
08-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Randall

Is this a double brick house?

Steve Frederickson
08-11-2009, 03:52 PM
If those bricks don't extend all of the way down to the foundation, but instead bear on a wood header below the roof/wall line, then my guess would be possible rot in the header. It looks like the flashing is newer, and the roof leader discharges in the immediate area, so rot would be a possibility.

If the brick extends down to the foundation, and there are no cracks in the foundation below this area, my next guess would be lack of expansion joints in the brick (which is rarely a problem in relatively small houses).

Are there cracks on the interior in this area, any sign of water damage on the interior...?

Nick Ostrowski
08-11-2009, 04:50 PM
That "flashing" is crap. Who know what you'll see when your peel that away.

Michael Garrity
08-11-2009, 05:39 PM
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MICHAEL/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MICHAEL/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpgAD, I am looking at the picture in your post.What holds the steel angle in place on a steep slope?

Richard A Hetzel
10-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Therer used to be a clause in the building code that required masonry to be supported on either steel or masonry. Brick supported by wood would not have conformed. If that clause is no longer in the code, whoever took it out should fall victim to a masonry collapse.

Richard Pultar
10-03-2009, 06:32 PM
gravity

A.D. Miller
10-04-2009, 07:19 AM
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MICHAEL/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MICHAEL/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpgAD, I am looking at the picture in your post.What holds the steel angle in place on a steep slope?

MG: A steel angle lag-screwed to the underlying 2X6s.

Ron Bibler
10-04-2009, 12:52 PM
If those bricks don't extend all of the way down to the foundation, but instead bear on a wood header below the roof/wall line, then my guess would be possible rot in the header. It looks like the flashing is newer, and the roof leader discharges in the immediate area, so rot would be a possibility.

If the brick extends down to the foundation, and there are no cracks in the foundation below this area, my next guess would be lack of expansion joints in the brick (which is rarely a problem in relatively small houses).

Are there cracks on the interior in this area, any sign of water damage on the interior...?

Steve and Aaron have very good points. We see condition like this all the time out in California. bad Installations from the 50s 60s and even up to date. No bottom supports for the veneer.

Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging (http://www.sebastopoltermiteinspection.com)
Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging (http://www.santarosacahomeinspection.com)

Best

Ron

Raymond Wand
10-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Randal did not answer the question whether this is a double brick home or whether its a newer brick veneer with reclaimed brick.

This damage may have been caused by improper roof water management spilling in this area and freeze thaw cycles.

Ron Bibler
10-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Randal did not answer the question whether this is a double brick home or whether its a newer brick veneer with reclaimed brick.

This damage may have been caused by improper roof water management spilling in this area and freeze thaw cycles.

From what I can see in the photo its a Face Veneer. Look at the door opening.

Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging (http://www.sebastopoltermiteinspection.com)

Best

Ron

Randall Clark
10-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. It is veneer on a 2-yr old home. Buyer had it repaired although I do not know how it was done.

Richard A Hetzel
10-04-2009, 06:42 PM
If it were built with the steel angle as pictured a few psots back, it's possible that the bond between mortar and steel gave way, and that the bricks simply slid down the steel angle slightly, which would have produced the effect shown. The veneer ties would have prevented a total collapse, but might have allowed enough lateral movement to cause the pictured damage.

Mike Schulz
10-06-2009, 02:24 PM
That brick veneer was broke from trying to drive a masonry nail in the mortar joint. Not much meat to bare the blunt force of driving a nail. Broke several of those corner myself over the years. :D