PDA

View Full Version : Loose breaker

Donn Lindorfer
08-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Heh gang my 1st time posting on the board. Just 2 easy questions. The pictures below look to me like a loose breaker. Just looking for some confirmation. The panel and breakers are Square D. Also, the main risk is arcing which is a fire danger, not to mention a loose breaker can also be a shock risk. Any other risks you would call out?
Secondly, this same panel has a cable wire grounded to a screw on the cover of the box. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe this allowed, correct?
Thanks!!

Rick Hurst
08-10-2009, 09:37 PM
You got the double tapped breakers and the white conductors noted also I guess.;)

rick

Donn Lindorfer
08-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes, got the double tap, but not the white conductor. The white conductor is connected to a terminal labeled "load neutral" which is ok, right? I believe this circuit is for a 220 hot tub.

Jerry Peck
08-10-2009, 09:53 PM
You got the double tapped breakers and the white conductors noted also I guess.;)

rick

Yes, got the double tap, but not the white conductor. The white conductor is connected to a terminal labeled "load neutral" which is ok, right? I believe this circuit is for a 220 hot tub.

The white is on a GFCI breaker. Look closely and you will see the Test button.

Yeah, that loose breaker could be a problem - it could also be an easy fix ... if it has not already arced up the breaker tab, if it has that would be bad news. However, I am guessing that the panel is a CTL panel and that lower right breaker simply cannot be fit on properly, and there is a reason for that ... it is the wrong breaker in the wrong panel.

Gunnar Alquist
08-10-2009, 09:54 PM
You got the double tapped breakers and the white conductors noted also I guess.;) rick

He got you there Rick! :rolleyes:

Jerry Peck
08-10-2009, 09:58 PM
That loose breaker is not even a Sq D breaker, which is why it is not fitting correctly.

Speedy Petey
08-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Jerry, your first instinct was correct. Take a closer look. It is a SqD. Might be counterfeit though as it does not look typical.
My bet is that it is a CTL board where someone tried to use a twin breaker.

Cable companies ground to where ever they want it seems, valid or not. Using a cover screw is not a listed application which is why they've come up with some strange contraptions to clamp onto panel boxes.

Jerry Peck
08-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Jerry, your first instinct was correct. Take a closer look. It is a SqD. Might be counterfeit though as it does not look typical.
My bet is that it is a CTL board where someone tried to use a twin breaker.

Peter,

My second post was adding to my first post.

I think that is a non-CTL breaker in a CTL panel, AND, that breaker is not a Square D.

The reason I say it is not a Square D is the width or the raised part, compare it to the Square D breaker opposite it - there is no way that divider piece is going to fit between the non-Square D breaker and the Square D breaker above it as the width of the raised part is the full width of the breaker, unlike the other Square D breakers.

See what I am referring to?

Randy Aldering
08-11-2009, 09:47 AM
I don't know, Jerry. I was thinking the same thing, but look at this:

HomeLine ® Circuit Breakers - Schneider Electric United States (http://www.schneider-electric.us/products-services/products/circuit-breakers/miniature-circuit-breakers/homeline-circuit-breakers/#tab=1)

I would tend to agree that it is either improperly installed, or not made for the panel it is installed in. This may be due to the breaker being a mini or tandem.

Randy Aldering
08-11-2009, 09:52 AM
This will save looking it up on the web site.

Speedy Petey
08-11-2009, 10:05 AM

HomeLine ® Circuit Breakers - Schneider Electric United States (http://www.schneider-electric.us/products-services/products/circuit-breakers/miniature-circuit-breakers/homeline-circuit-breakers/#tab=1)

I would tend to agree that it is either improperly installed, or not made for the panel it is installed in. This may be due to the breaker being a mini or tandem.
Yes, that is definitely a SqD breaker.
You can clearly make out the "D in a square" on the sticker.

ken horak
08-11-2009, 10:14 AM
square D Homeline breaker in a Square D QO panel

Speedy Petey
08-11-2009, 10:20 AM
square D Homeline breaker in a Square D QO panelThat's physically impossible.

Besides, that is an HOM panel.

ken horak
08-11-2009, 01:46 PM
my bad !
I guess thats what I get for looking at it with that stupid laptop instead of my desktop

Jerry Peck
08-11-2009, 01:54 PM

This will save looking it up on the web site.

Yes, that is definitely a SqD breaker.
You can clearly make out the "D in a square" on the sticker.

Well ... I would not say "clearly make out", I had to zoom in and squint :D but then I saw the D.

Thus I stand (sit) corrected. :o