PDA

View Full Version : Green/Eco Building

Joe Nernberg
06-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I am interested in adding a Green/Eco building designation (if one exists) not so much for inspections, but for consulting. I believe that Oregon has a Green Building criteria for homeowners who wish to modify their homes and collect on state/federal tax credits. If nothing else, I hope to leave a better planet to my kids.

You do not have to debate global warming - just stop being wasteful. Some Green Building upgrades may include more efficient heat/air systems, tankless water heater, added wall/attic insulation, dual pane windows, solar collectors and skylights.

Your thoughts?

Bruce Breedlove
06-05-2007, 10:37 PM
You might want to check into EnergyStar (www.energystar.gov). You can become an E-Star rater and offer your services to homeowners and builders. Homes that meet a certain E-Star rating may qualify for a special mortgage or home-improvement loan that takes into consideration the utility savings that certain improvements will provide.

David Banks
06-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Watch out Joe you will be called a tree hugging communist.

Ross Neag
09-09-2007, 08:06 PM
When we renovated our house and investigated getting Energy Star rated we were told by our insulation co. (a reputable one in the area, did homework--used cellulose) that they have only been able to certify 2 or 3 homes in the past coulple of years b/c the qualifications are so stringent. Without digging up all the needs, it was as if you needed EVERY upgrade and if you missed one you were out of luck. No argument pro or con, however I love the fact that more and more ppl are willing to go the extra step and make an effort to improve energy consumptions and keep builiding impacts less.

R

BARRY ADAIR
09-10-2007, 05:11 AM
Joe,

Saving ourselves and the future can't be all bad.

RESNET: Residential Energy Services Network | Setting the Standard for Quality (http://www.natresnet.org/)

Green Communities Initiative (http://www.planning.org/yourcommunity/greencommunities.htm)

also contact your utility providers they can best direct you to the qualifying authorities for tax credit assessments.

Nolan Kienitz
09-10-2007, 10:13 AM
If I recall correctly I've heard that the City of Austin, TX is putting out more requirements regarding Energy Star and such efficiencies in existing and new homes in that Central Texas community.

Ross Neag
09-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Barry,

I've looked into the 5 day courses for becoming a certified energy auditor. Is RESNET the benchmark or go to name for this...?

BARRY ADAIR
09-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Barry,

I've looked into the 5 day courses for becoming a certified energy auditor. Is RESNET the benchmark or go to name for this...?

Ross,

I'm not yet rated but aroud here as far as I know the answer is YES from all the guys I've talked to. They're doing the energy audits, EnergyStar, and the ones that sign off on the insulation certs for all new constuction.

Hope this helps.

Joe Nernberg
09-10-2007, 08:12 PM
The ITA Expo will feature "Energy Inspections with Home Energy Tune-uPĀ®
by Steve Luxton" and "Introduction to Green Building for Home Inspectors by
Kerry Mitchell." More info at ITA Home Inspection Training Schools - Become a Home Inspector (http://www.home-inspect.com/expo/topics.asp)