PDA

View Full Version : A few of my inspection findings from this week!

Scott Patterson
08-21-2009, 03:00 PM
All in all it was a pretty normal week. The pictures need no titles or descriptions!

Rick Hurst
08-21-2009, 03:25 PM
A few of mine. Mine was not as exciting as Scott's week seeing some ass and all.:D

rick

archivoyeur
08-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Scott,

I don't see anything wrong with adding a lirtle extra insulation to your crawl space. They were just ging to let that dryer lint blow away anyway.

(We used to teach scouts to make fire starters with dryer lint and a drop of candle wax. After you do that once you RUN home and check the filter.)

archivoyeur
08-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Rick,

I give.

What is going on with the water heater?

wayne soper
08-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey , Who you calling an A$$:D HEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW

Jerry McCarthy
08-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Here's a classic, but I can't decide to file it under electric or plumbing defects?

Jerry Peck
08-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Here's a classic, but I can't decide to file it under electric or plumbing defects?

Actually both electric and GAS (unless you put gas in with plumbing). :D

Jerry McCarthy
08-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Knew that Jer, was just testing the waters. Now who wants to post the code refs for these reportable defects?
(Jerry P, you be still)

Billy Stephens
08-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey , Who you calling an A$$:D HEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW
:D .......:D

John Kogel
08-21-2009, 09:45 PM
I'll play along. Here's my week in 10 pics. My dryer hose looked just like yours, Scott. :cool:

Ron Bibler
08-21-2009, 11:44 PM
This is one of my best IR shots to date...

Termites in a floor with a bad case of gas:D

Best

Ron

John Kogel
08-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Ron, is that a termite hole spouting cool air? It's an amazing shot!

Ron Bibler
08-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Ron, is that a termite hole spouting cool air? It's an amazing shot!

You are very close John. Its liquid air... I injected the termite hole with liquid air and the void in the hard wood flooring that the termites had excavated was now under pressure with the liquid air. You could not see this without the INFRARED CAMERA.

Best

Ron

John Kogel
08-22-2009, 02:17 PM
You are very close John. Its liquid air... I injected the termite hole with liquid air and the void in the hard wood flooring that the termites had excavated was now under pressure with the liquid air. You could not see this without the INFRARED CAMERA.

Best

RonThat's why you make the big buck while I'm inspecting this .........

:mad:

Inspector 3500
08-24-2009, 01:19 PM
A few of mine. Mine was not as exciting as Scott's week seeing some ass and all.:D

rick

Rick, what is under the down spout? Is it the end of a prestressed cable?

A.D. Miller
08-24-2009, 02:00 PM

Best

Ron

RB: So where does one obtain liquid air?

Ted Menelly
08-24-2009, 02:28 PM
RB: So where does one obtain liquid air?

You can gathert it when you pass gas but it is almost liquid.

Rick Hurst
08-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Rick, what is under the down spout? Is it the end of a prestressed cable?

Yes Sir! Its the exposed end of a Post-Tension Cable.

Inspector 3500
08-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Yes Sir! Its the exposed end of a Post-Tension Cable.

From the looks of it, it was never covered.

Rick Vernon
08-25-2009, 08:33 PM
This is a first for me. Condensate drain line made of copper to the top of a toilet tank. The last photo is a catv cable thru a light fixture.
What a deal!

Rick Hurst
08-26-2009, 12:31 PM
A couple of hazards from the morning inspection.

rick

Ron Bibler
08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
No way I moving to TEXAS... They have Snakes:eek:

What the heck is that Rick?

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller
08-26-2009, 01:59 PM
No way I moving to TEXAS... They have Snakes:eek:

What the heck is that Rick?

Best

Ron

RB: Cottonmouth.

Robert Mattison
08-26-2009, 11:50 PM
I loved the photo's you H.I.'s put in.

Rich H. QUESTION: water tank in attic, storage or in used. :confused:

bruce m graham III
08-27-2009, 03:16 AM
All I got is 5000 sq ft EIFS from hell:) just 2 of over 300 from this inspection.

Mike Gault
08-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Two decent ones from this week...

The classic improper dryer vent and a No Handrail section in a new construction 600K...

Mike Gault
08-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Quick question, why do so many of you guys not date stamp your photos?

bruce m graham III
08-27-2009, 07:12 AM
I'll see your hand rail a raise you one
regarding date stampes, all can be doctored and all digital pic have a lot of info imbedded as in pic 3

Vern Heiler
08-27-2009, 07:19 AM
"Missed it by that much 99"

Bruce Ramsey
08-27-2009, 08:15 AM

I crop at least one third of the pictures before adding to the report. Date would be cut off some and not others and could raise questions.

They clutter up the photo and take away from the important bit, the defect.

All the pictures from each inspection go into a dedicated folder. All the interior shots had to be taken the day of the inspection because that is the only time I had access.

Jim Luttrall
08-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Why would I add it?
I have done it both ways in the past and found no reason to include it. All the photos of the report are included in a dated report, so the individual date stamps are superfluous and distracting. Unless I am needing to document the date and time in every single shot it is just clutter. Unlike others that want to provide an information overload, I try to keep the report clean, readable with pertinent information so that the client can actually find useful information without reading War and Peace.

A.D. Miller
08-27-2009, 10:33 AM
64-year old POS this A.M. in Oak Cliff with new granite counters, stainless steel appliances, and new bathroom, and . . . thought I was in Philly.:D

Ted Menelly
08-27-2009, 10:46 AM
64-year old POS this A.M. in Oak Cliff with new granite counters, stainless steel appliances, and new bathroom, and . . . thought I was in Philly.:D

Hey

But it had remodeled kitchens and baths and how about those granite counter tops????

By the way. Your third pic. Who thru the mud all over the bottom of the beam.

Mike Gault

I agree with Jim and Bruce. The pics are going into a folder for that day for that home for that client and your computer dates when you down loaded them and even the time and how many pictures.. They are also going into the report of an inspection that you did on that day. No need for another date stamp for the pics. Also the pics are numbered in sequence for when you took them on that day. The pics in the report correspond with what you write in your report for that inspection. Date stamping is overkill and clutter.

A.D. Miller
08-27-2009, 10:52 AM
By the way. Your third pic. Who thru the mud all over the bottom of the beam.

TM: Reticulitermes flavipes.

Date stamping is overkill and clutter.

TM: Agreed. Besides, many of today's cameras are not so equipped.

Jerry Peck
08-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Date stamping is overkill and clutter.

TM: Agreed. Besides, many of today's cameras are not so equipped.

Aaron, Ted,

Agreed. Not only is in not necessary, clutters up the photo, but is meaningless when it comes to trying to prove when the photo was actually taken.

Besides, that cluttered up part of the photo may be hiding something you may have wished you had spotted, and would have spotted if not for the date stamp.

A.D. Miller
08-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Besides, that cluttered up part of the photo may be hiding something you may have wished you had spotted, and would have spotted if not for the date stamp.

JP: Agreed.

Rick Hurst
08-27-2009, 03:21 PM
I loved the photo's you H.I.'s put in.

Rich H. QUESTION: water tank in attic, storage or in used. :confused:

Water heater was located in the attic of the home and was operable.

Mike Gault
08-27-2009, 05:43 PM
I turned the date off tonight (wife hated it anyway :-).

All very valid points....

Mike Schulz
08-28-2009, 05:53 AM
I stopped using dates on photo's for the purpose of using the photo's in other reports. For instances I'll take pictures of correct installation of Flashing around a window or Condensate drains and traps on hvac. Then I use them as examples when I find one wrong. But then I have to write in caps "EXAMPLE OF drains and traps on ANOTHER HOME" which would cover up that date stamp anyway. Oh well ......:p

Mike Gault
08-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Here's a Primary condensate from today that terminates in the crawlspace (installed August 2007) and the resulting 'puddle'...

Notice No Dates! I'm conforming :-)

Ron Bibler
08-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Ever have one of these leak on you:eek:

Best

Ron

Robert Mattison
08-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Ron a basement sh-t pump it something I never want to smell again.
If I smell it, start throwing-up. I'll pass on the job, if the customer think
I should open one up as part of the H.I. inspection.

The other is a crawl space, where the owner has cats, and the cats use it
as their own personal litter box.

I once watch a guy, up wind, go into a large oil storage tank, to clean out
a plug fuel line. And get this, he did it without a personal mask breather.

Mike Schulz
08-30-2009, 11:51 AM
I just run the water long enough to get the pump to run then shut off to make sure the one way valve works. They are plastic and make a loud thump when sealing. If the valve doesn't work it will sound like a tidal wave coming back in.........

Robert Mattison
08-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Mike S.

Like your solution, to that problem, mind if I use it, with future customers.

/S/ Robert :cool:

John Carroll
09-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Here is some free advice. Google Picasa photo software and download it, it's free, and has a great editing feature that allows you add in fill light to the pictures. really handy when trying to see detail, since a lot of pics posted here could use some extra clarity. Saves going back to redo a bad shot.
:cool: