PDA

View Full Version : Non-continuous feeders to load side panel

Michael Thomas
08-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Is there any reason why the feeders from service equipment to a load side panel cannot be non-continuous, as long as the two lengths are "spliced" with an appropriate connector within a junction box to which they are properly attached?

If allowed, are there any likely defects to check for at such a connection?

- Thanks

Jim Port
08-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Is this the situation with the cable thru the stairwell?

I think for the reliability factor I would just buy new cable. One less point of potential failure. Polaris connectors are for 4/0 are about $30 each x 4 = $120 alone. Add in the cost of the JB and connectors and you are very close to the price of 50 foot of 4/0 SER.

Jerry Peck
08-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Is there any reason why the feeders from service equipment to a load side panel cannot be non-continuous, as long as the two lengths are "spliced" with an appropriate connector within a junction box to which they are properly attached?

If allowed, are there any likely defects to check for at such a connection?

- Thanks

That is allowed, yes.

Possible defect would be loose and overheating connections if not done properly.

Michael Thomas
08-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks!

Would split-bolts be acceptable?

Jerry Peck
08-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Would split-bolts be acceptable?

Yes, but they would then need to be wrapped, insulated and taped all up, making for a big glob of a termination, but yes, they would be okay. Better than wire nuts for THAT use, in my opinion.