PDA

View Full Version : water heater TPR arrangement

Jerome W. Young
08-24-2009, 03:03 PM
the building official told the builder he could do it this way or so it was stated.

This has a solar heater on the roof with a recirculator. I was not sure if the tpr drain line could be t'd off with a return or supply?

Brandon Whitmore
08-24-2009, 03:31 PM
It can be done like that if they used the right T&P relief valve-- they need the longer style-- it has to extend into the top 6" of the tank I believe.

The above info. is from what I have learned here, and is based on memory--- I can't say I've ever seen it done that way.

Ron Bibler
08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey Brandon...

You should check these fittings. some of them have a stamp on the side of them stating cold water only.

Best

Ron

Jerry Peck
08-24-2009, 05:09 PM
It can be done like that if they used the right T&P relief valve-- they need the longer style-- it has to extend into the top 6" of the tank I believe.

The above info. is from what I have learned here, and is based on memory--- I can't say I've ever seen it done that way.

Correct ... as long as the T&P has the extra long probe, usually designated by and XL instead of just an L, for example: 100XL, 1L, 1XL, 40L, 40XL, etc. ( Watts: Temperature and Pressure Relief Valves | Water Safety & Flow Control (http://www.watts.com/pro/_products_sub.asp?catId=64&parCat=294) ).

Also note that there appears to be a heat trap fitting in the two solar heater lines but NOT in the hot out, which is where a hot heat trap is needed.

Jerome W. Young
08-24-2009, 05:29 PM
good stuff, thanks

Jerry Peck
08-24-2009, 05:31 PM
good stuff, thanks

Keep in mind, though, that the longer probes are only 2" longer ...

Install too tall of a nipple, too tall of a tee, and that extra long probe will not reach anyway.

Brandon Whitmore
08-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Hey Brandon...

You should check these fittings. some of them have a stamp on the side of them stating cold water only.

Hi Ron,

Good memory.....
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/plumbing-system-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/7943-cpvc-fitting-labeled-cold-water-only.html

Jerry Peck
08-24-2009, 07:06 PM
That's those transition fittings I keep mentioning since that thread came up and that information was posted.

What you are looking at are "adapters" to "adapter" from a slip joint to a threaded joint, not "transitions" which "transition" from one material to another.