PDA

View Full Version : Texting While Driving Video

Rick Hurst
08-25-2009, 07:44 AM
I saw this video last night and thought I'd pass it on. Anyone who text messages while driving should see this especially any young people you may have in your home or life. The same thing could apply for being on cell phones while driving.

The video is quite graphic but gets the message across well.

rick

YouTube - Texting While Driving- Public Service Announcement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtZxT9qt1IE)

Ted Menelly
08-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Almost got nailed today from a woman texting. She came out of a complex on the other side of the road, crossed her three lanes, came to my side of the road and crossed 2 of the 3 lanes and almost into me.

I never blow my horn. I did at her and she did not even hear it.

Joseph Melbourne
08-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Everyone should watch this.

Ron Bibler
08-25-2009, 06:35 PM
(they ARE out to get us!) :mad: See something like that coming at you when you are riding a Harley Is enough to make you fill your pants.

Best

Ron

Mitchell Meeks
08-26-2009, 05:31 AM
You are right Rick, it was graphic but sometimes that is just what someone needs to see. We just had a young teenage driver killed a few months ago. She was on the way to school on a two lane road when she ran into someone else.

NC has now passed a law against texting while driving so hopefully it will hit home with some people. The sad thing is that is does not got into effect yuntil Oct. Will just have to watch out in the meantime.

A.D. Miller
08-26-2009, 05:56 AM
Texting while driving, though a relatively recent phenomena, is just another of hundreds of activities that idiots perform while attempting to drive automobiles. In respect for the Hann's bandwidth I will not attempt a compressive list, but here's the short version:

Eating
Drinking
Talking on the phone
Retrieving something from the other seat
Retrieving something dropped on the floor
Chastising children in the back seat
Smoking
Applying makeup
Grooming (combing/brushing hair, shaving, plucking eyebrows, et al.)
Watching TV
Writing

These are all things that I have personally witnessed and all will cumulate in the same results as those depicted in the video.

On a similar note, the same sort of disaster lies at the end of a home inspection which is conducted simultaneously with a guided tour of the building for the client. We are all one trick ponies, regardless what the current pervasive moronic multi-tasking mentality movement would have us believe.

It is much simpler to be scatter-brained and blame it on A.D.D., the TV, or you parents, than it is to get focused and stay focused on one activity at a time.

Rick Hurst
08-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Texting while driving, though a relatively recent phenomena, is just another of hundreds of activities that idiots perform while attempting to drive automobiles. In respect for the Hann's bandwidth I will not attempt a compressive list, but here's the short version:

Eating
Drinking
Talking on the phone
Retrieving something from the other seat
Retrieving something dropped on the floor
Chastising children in the back seat
Smoking
Applying makeup
Grooming (combing/brushing hair, shaving, plucking eyebrows, et al.)
Watching TV
Writing
Wanking off

These are all things that I have personally witnessed and all will cumulate in the same results as those depicted in the video.

On a similar note, the same sort of disaster lies at the end of a home inspection which is conducted simultaneously with a guided tour of the building for the client. We are all one trick ponies, regardless what the current pervasive moronic multi-tasking mentality movement would have us believe.

It is much simpler to be scatter-brained and blame it on A.D.D., the TV, or you parents, than it is to get focused and stay focused on one activity at a time.

Aaron,

I passed a guy this morning that had a laptop propped upon the steering wheel was typing away. He was all over the road like a 17yr. old coming home with a date from the prom.;)

rick

Brandon Whitmore
08-26-2009, 11:52 AM
A while back, I saw a guy with a newspaper draped across his steering wheel while driving on the freeway.

And what about all of those women we see applying make- up while driving.

The only law we should need is the law of common sense. Don't do anything that distracts you from what you should be doing-- driving.

A.D. Miller
08-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Aaron,

I passed a guy this morning that had a laptop propped upon the steering wheel was typing away. He was all over the road like a 17yr. old coming home with a date from the prom.;)

rick

RH: That sort of thing makes my trigger finger itch - a lot.

Jim Robinson
08-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I saw a young guy a few weeks ago texting on his motorcycle. I hope he has an organ donor card.

A.D. Miller
08-27-2009, 02:35 AM
I saw a young guy a few weeks ago texting on his motorcycle. I hope he has an organ donor card.

JR: But, would you really want his DNA, should you become in need of one of his organs?:D

Nolan Kienitz
08-27-2009, 06:29 AM
Many years ago whilst on the LBJ between I-35 & Hwy-75 during morning commute (traffic crawling at the time) myself and many others were presented with a young lady transitioning from her robe to office work clothes and included putting on her bra and then makeup all while sipping from a cup of coffee.

This was in an era long before cell phones and other such distracting items.

Traffic (around her car) really got slow during the dressing phase.

Albeit ... no accidents ;)

Rick Hurst
08-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Nolan,

That post would be much more interesting if you had posted some pics.:D

rick

Nolan Kienitz
08-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Nolan,

That post would be much more interesting if you had posted some pics.:D

rick

Sure would have ... but also long before such a fancy device as "digital cameras". I was with The Associated Press at the time in data communications and I did have a reasonably handy 35mm SLR ... but not that day. :o

Rick Hurst
08-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Nolan,

Oh well, it was a good visual story anyway.

rick

A.D. Miller
08-29-2009, 05:58 AM
Other things one should avoid while driving:

YouTube - Kesslers Knigge - 10 Drogen - beim Autofahren / driving a car (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCNDeMi2qdA)

Richard Stanley
08-29-2009, 08:47 AM
This video has been removed due to terms of use violation.

Glenn Duxbury
08-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Great stuff !

My own 'almost' was years ago -before cell phones even became readily-available. Was Summer & driving along a country road (driver's window down & lilkely something like Steppenwolf pounding outa the speakers), when a wasp /hornet either flew-in or was sucked inside - onto my lap.

Was approaching a 4-way stop, which seemed to be a safe haven /opp. to either pull-over or jump out & get rid of it. Cop was approaching from the other direction, as I was swerving all over, trying to safely (for my person, anyway) locate & remove it pulling up to that stop, although I didn't even see him - marked Cruiser & all - until too late.

Finally I felt safe just as he walked up to my open window, asking me to 'please step outside CAREFULLY...'

He mentioned something like 'distracted talking on your new Cell, eh ?' & I just blurted out "No - a BEE flew in & attacked me !", in response, trying to control the situation, somehow...

In the end I ended up with just a Caution, but just shows how things can deteriorate.

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI