PDA

View Full Version : None of Your Bee's Wax

Kent Keith
08-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Just a reminder for everyone to be extra careful when opening meter, valve and backflow valve box lids. On one inspection this week I opened a meter box and saw a family of Black Widows living in it. I was lucky but should of had gloves on. On another, I was not quite so lucky. I was opening a sprinkler backflow valve box on a one year warranty inspection and just remembered fire stinging pain in my hands. Bees got me four times and the pain was terrible, not to mention looking like an idiot running down the street with my arms waving wildly. After they quit chasing me, I went back and got my tools together and called the agent to get an exterminator out before I could finish. The pic shows what I found when I went back.

Ron Bibler
08-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Glad you are OK... good thing these were not Killer bees. They are in your area.

Had a bee sting me on my arm one time when I was riding my Harley. Before I could get the bike stop my arm was all jack up. look like some one filled my arm with air:eek:

Thank for the reminder...

Hows the hand?

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly
08-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Just a reminder for everyone to be extra careful when opening meter, valve and backflow valve box lids. On one inspection this week I opened a meter box and saw a family of Black Widows living in it. I was lucky but should of had gloves on. On another, I was not quite so lucky. I was opening a sprinkler backflow valve box on a one year warranty inspection and just remembered fire stinging pain in my hands. Bees got me four times and the pain was terrible, not to mention looking like an idiot running down the street with my arms waving wildly. After they quit chasing me, I went back and got my tools together and called the agent to get an exterminator out before I could finish. The pic shows what I found when I went back.

Ummm

How were the sprinklers :p Just kidding

You are lucky you are not allergic.

Kent Keith
08-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Ron,
Hand is fine....sure did burn at the time though. Like Ted said, good thing I was not allergic.

Rick Hurst
08-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Every HI should should find a pest control supply house in there area and go in there and buy a few cans of "wasp freeze". Those types of products (Whitmire brand if you can find it) will knock down a bees nest site in just a few seconds.

Secondly when your around bees it best not to run from them especially flogging your arms around. Their coming after you if your doing so.

Best thing is too move slowly away from the site. 22 yrs. in the PC business I've been stung maybe twice.

rick

Scott Patterson
08-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Secondly when your around bees it best not to run from them especially flogging your arms around. Their coming after you if your doing so.

Best thing is too move slowly away from the site. 22 yrs. in the PC business I've been stung maybe twice.

rick

Does that hold true with big Red paper wasp! I call them Nuclear Wasp! They track you like radar.....

Ron Bibler
08-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Ya don't pay any attention to what Rick said... The best thing to do is PRETEND:eek: Like you dead and fall on the ground:eek: Don't move:mad: Even if you get stung a few 100 times They will stop at some point:D

Best

Ron:D

Bob Harper
08-29-2009, 09:58 AM
FYI, you cannot tell from the first sting incident if you are allergic to hymenoptera or not. Your body makes antibodies to the antigen and it takes a second exposure to the antigen (sting) to see if you have an anaphylactic reaction or not.

Also, each bug species has its own unique antigen. You may be safe from all but one bug or you may be allergic to all but it takes two separate incidents apart to tell. You may do fine for years but develop a sensitivy over time so no guarantees.

If anaphylaxsis is setting in, call 911 and do whatever you have to do to get some epinehrine into you. This is THE treatment of choice and can be life saving. I've treated this several dozen times in my yrs as a paramedic and it is nothing to play around with. Don't delay--get help at the first onset of symptoms. The crash into anaphylactic shock comes on in just a few minutes. If you know you are susceptible, get an Rx from your doc for an Epi-Pen and wear a Medic-Alert bracelet or necklace.
Bob