PDA

View Full Version : What are you wearing?

Bruce Ramsey
08-26-2009, 06:34 PM
I know many people like the home inspection business because there is not a dress code. The client today requested that I wear pants and shoes to the inspection. :eek:

I am not sure what the rest of you are wearing. This made me a little uneasy that clients have to request that people wear pants!

Upon more discussion, it is new construction and the builder is requesting the wearing of long pants and not shorts to the work site. The client asked for shoes and did not elaborate but probably is passing on a request from the builder requesting closed toed shoes for safety reasons.

Looks like I need to update my website and specicfically state that I wear clothes and shoes during an inspection. :D

Jerry McCarthy
08-26-2009, 06:42 PM
I did all of my inspections naked and insisted my clients, the agents and home sellers stripped as I wanted nothing concealed. I quit inspecting due to the continuous gross out due to the bodies I was visually exposed to.

Daniel Leung
08-26-2009, 06:52 PM
I wear T-shirt in summer, long sleeve Oxford shirt in winter with "Dickies" long work pants with big pocket on sides. Of course cap and steel-toes shoes, my presbyopia and dentures.

Ted Menelly
08-26-2009, 06:58 PM
I know many people like the home inspection business because there is not a dress code. The client today requested that I wear pants and shoes to the inspection. :eek:

I am not sure what the rest of you are wearing. This made me a little uneasy that clients have to request that people wear pants!

Upon more discussion, it is new construction and the builder is requesting the wearing of long pants and not shorts to the work site. The client asked for shoes and did not elaborate but probably is passing on a request from the builder requesting closed toed shoes for safety reasons.

Looks like I need to update my website and specicfically state that I wear clothes and shoes during an inspection. :D

Question is.....What do you wear to an inspection ????

Rick Hurst
08-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm one of those jean wearing, polo shirt type of inspectors. On a dress up day, I'll wear some docker type pants and a polo shirt. I don't wear hats.

Never have one complaint.

rick

Ted Menelly
08-26-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm one of those jean wearing, polo shirt type of inspectors. On a dress up day, I'll wear some docker type pants and a polo shirt. I don't wear hats.

Never have one complaint.

rick

The only difference here is that in the winter it turns into a tshirt with a long sleeve collared shirt in the winter. I don't like wearing jackets. To stuffy doing an inspection in one or driving in one.

Ron Bibler
08-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Had an agent today do the plumber thing in front of me.
Not a pretty picture...

Best

Ron

Jim Luttrall
08-26-2009, 08:24 PM
I got worried when I saw the title of the post...

Matt Fellman
08-26-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm with Rick... jeans and polo shirt or even a plain colored T-shirt. During winter I usually have a fleece pullover. Our company policy over the years is just anything with no writing or branding. I just like to be perceived as totally neutral - no political bumper stickers or NRA hats or junk like that. It always kills me when I see a guy with a super fanatical bumper sticker on the back of his work truck.... that is guarenteed to lose you at least half of your potential work.

Scott Patterson
08-27-2009, 06:08 AM
I pretty much dress in what I would call business casual when I inspect homes. Sometimes I do wear non-faded jeans, but they are a great deal warmer than khakis so I tend not to wear them in the summer. I always wear Merell brand shoes, they work great on roofs and look pretty good. I wear pullover collared knit shits, most of them are from the Bass Pro Shop (Bob Timberlake line), they are a heavy cotton knit and work well for me.

When it hits the 90's and the humidity is high I do wear shorts when I think they will fit into the job for that day. I have some areas that I just know that shorts will not work well with the folks I'm inspecting for.

Mike Gault
08-27-2009, 06:51 AM
Carhartt double pocket shirt sleeves and jeans (clean, no tears or staining) and Northface below the ankle shoes (soft tread for roofs) year round.

On occasion (a "no Crawlspace" day - very rare here:-) I'll wear Eddie Bauer khakis and docker shoes; gets a smile from realtors who know me...

Markus Keller
08-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Summer time - Speedo's
Winter time - Speedo's with a fake fur vest and cute mittens

Jim Luttrall
08-27-2009, 09:32 AM
OH WOW, somebody get me a scrub brush for my brain!
That's just nasty:eek:

Rick Hurst
08-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Jim,

I think Markus took that comment a bit too serious I made sometime ago about business had picked up since I started wearing a thong.:eek:

Now you'll need to wire brush your brain followed up with an acid wash.:D

rick

Allan Davis
08-28-2009, 04:36 AM
It depends on what state I'm working in. When in Kentucky I where bib overalls (no shirt underneath) and if its not too cold go barefoot. When in Indiana I where my IU Hoosiers shirt and a John Deer ball cap. You want to dress to the same level as your clients. :)

John Arnold
08-29-2009, 05:03 AM
... It always kills me when I see a guy with a super fanatical bumper sticker on the back of his work truck.... that is guarenteed to lose you at least half of your potential work.

Dang. That "Make levees, not war" bumper sticker has been harshing my business??

Bob Phoenix
08-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Mark Twain once said... "Naked people, have nearly no influence, in society!"
...Althought there was that French woman who went to work on a horse that one time... http://www.rjpictures.com/images/smilies/character00246.gif
But I digress...

A typical day is khakies, low cut red wing shoes and a short sleve, button collar shirt...
(Winter requires a wind breaker until around 10 AM...vI love working in Florida...)