PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor gas fire pit

Trent Tarter
08-27-2009, 07:50 AM
This place has a gas outdoor fire pit. CSST pipe is exposed under the metal grate. Also when the metal grate is lifted the the pipe moves and flexes. This is the first time that I have seen an installation like this. I don't like the way it looks. My concerns are that the pipe will crack or split from movement when the cover is opened and closed. My other concern is that hot embers from wood will fall down into pit and melt the gas line.

Jim Luttrall
08-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Looks like valid concerns to me. Since this is not a listed appliance nor covered specifically in IRC (to my knowledge) I would think common sense would dictate but you may want to reference the fuel gas code or the CSST manufacturers for further information.

wayne soper
08-27-2009, 08:12 AM
The covering on that csst appears melted.. also as far as I can see, it runs underground, which is also a nono

Trent Tarter
08-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Yes the CSST runs underground and is installed in a protective sleeve. I will still call it out, this is just not an acceptable install in my opinion.

Insp Brian Johnson
08-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Doesn't CSST have to be secured from movement? And also it has to be in conduit outside wich it is not in the pic.

Jerry Peck
08-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Doesn't CSST have to be secured from movement? And also it has to be in conduit outside wich it is not in the pic.

Not secured "from movement" but "supported and secured" are the required intervals, which varies on size of the CSST.

Bob Harper
08-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Cannot be in direct flame impingement such as hot embers falling into pit igniting combustibles

tight bend radius

outdoor application quesitionable.

Ditto Jim on IRC and listed instructions.

Also, these pits function much like a log lighter. You need an "appliance shutoff" within 6' plus a throttling valve closer to the appliance but outside the combustion chamber. Since these pits are not addressed directly in the model codes, you could also refer to the AHJ. For instance, how far away from structures and seating benches is this pit? No code on that but still functional concerns.

I doubt he would require a sediment trap in this application but its worth asking.

Trent Tarter
08-28-2009, 02:21 PM
The shut-off valve is located about 20 feet away at back of home. Sometimes you just have to call things out based on common sense and this is one of them.

aaronwilliams123456
09-19-2009, 06:57 PM
This is definitely not a safe fire pit. It needs more insulation around the piping system and a better drainage system in place. Plus someone needs a more secure mechanism in place to hold the gas pipe that the flames come out off.