PDA

View Full Version : Where does it say Vertical Installation

Bob Hunt
08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Got called by my neighbor today. We live in a town with NO Building Code Enforcement. She has hired a roofer to reroof her house and install a porch over her concrete patio. The roofer has had three people working for two weeks and has installed about 30 feet of what is in the photo (certainly do not want to call it roof framing) as the roof extension to the outer edges of the patio. He says that this is all that is required for a proper installation and all he needs to do is to shorten the post.

The number of serious deficiencies in the one picture is staggering but whart I cannot find in the IRC is a statement that any dimensional framing members are to be installed vertically.

She is probably going to fire the guy tomorrow. I have been asked to draw up a list of deficiencies and need to find the reference to vertical installation.

Jerry Peck
08-27-2009, 02:39 PM
I cannot find in the IRC is a statement that any dimensional framing members are to be installed vertically.

Bob,

Look in the span tables.

Where is says 2x6 ... that means nominal 2" WIDE by nominal 6" DEPTH ... ;) ... and he installed 6x2 rafters ... 6" WIDE by 2" DEPTH ... :eek: ... which I doubt he will find in the tables. :D

Michael Garrity
08-27-2009, 02:43 PM
I am going to guess that if you look in the index of the IRC,look up wood and from there you will be able to locate tables where it will tell you how far you can span with a particular size of lumber.Don't forget the live roof load.

wayne soper
08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
I especially like how the gutters were left in place. Just in case there were a leak:D

Jerry Peck
08-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Bob,

Here is an IRC code reference. (underlining and bold are mine)
- R802.2 Design and construction. The framing details required in Section R802 apply to roofs having a minimum slope of three units vertical in 12 units horizontal (25-percent slope) or greater. Roof-ceilings shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter and Figures R606.11(1), R606.11(2) and R606.11(3) or in accordance with AFPA/NDS. Components of roof-ceilings shall be fastened in accordance with Table R602.3(1).

Those referenced figures show the framing installed 2x6, not 6x2, as does the AFPA/NDS.

Bob Hunt
08-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks Jerry. Maybe we could get the IRC to include one simple sentence in the next revision to keep it as unconfusing as possible for these types of people.

Jerry Peck
08-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Maybe we could get the IRC to include one simple sentence in the next revision to keep it as unconfusing as possible for these types of people.

If those types of people are confused, I do not believe there is ANY help for them. :eek:

Jim Luttrall
08-27-2009, 08:10 PM
What makes you think these guys can read, much less that they would read instructions or a code book?

Brandon Whitmore
08-27-2009, 09:40 PM
We should poll contractors to find out just how many have ever read a code book, let alone know what one looks like......:D

Michael Schirmer
08-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Rafter laid flat? My 8 year old son did that on his treehouse!

Michael Chambers
08-27-2009, 11:25 PM
What makes you think these guys can read, much less that they would read instructions or a code book?

Maybe if there was a version in Spanish? :confused:

Ben Christianson
08-28-2009, 05:40 AM
If you don't find it in any code per se, you'll certainly find it in load distribution tables for dimensional lumber and in any good building construction book.

The orientation of the lumber is based on your local factors to include live and dead loads.

As for the vertical supports, what do they propose for columns? Something more substantial than in the pictures?

How do they have the plate attached to the home?

Ben

Mitchell Toelle
08-28-2009, 06:45 AM
If you don't find it in any code per se, you'll certainly find it in load distribution tables for dimensional lumber and in any good building construction book.

How do they have the plate attached to the home?

Ben

As roofers they most certainly nailed it right through the roof covering. We all know that roofers work never leaks.

Vern Heiler
08-28-2009, 06:58 AM
The good news is there are not too many nails and most of the material is salvageable.

Bob Hunt
08-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Well, she fired him. He is currently removing the screws that held the "rafters" to the roof. In conversation with him this morning he did say that "Of course this is not the permanent beam. I am going to screw another 2x6 to this one."

It only deteriorated from there.

As to the Spanish language code book and Spanish speaking contractors, in this area some of the better contractors are of Mexican descent. The clown that perptrated this nonsense is a good old all-American boy who can even conjugate his verbs. He is only concerned with the happiness of his customers; or so he says, but certainly not with their safety.

Lynn McCameron
08-28-2009, 08:02 AM
I really have to say. After reading everyone's posts I had to go to the emergency room to get stitches for all the cracked ribs from laughing. The nail part and salvage was the boom.

If you can't tear it down and you can't blow it up then plow it over.
Lynn

James Foy
08-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Y'all don' unnerstand. That thar particulah placement, allows for a springier roof fer jumpin' to the pool, crick, or inta yer pick-me-up bed.
:D