PDA

View Full Version : fixing busted PB main line

John Dirks Jr
09-01-2009, 01:50 PM
I was talking to a home owner today. They have a broken polybutelyne line(big blue). A local plumber is going to fix it by pulling a polyethylene (PE) line through the existing PB line.

They say it's being done with success and very little disturbance to the grounds.

It was the first I had heard of this repair method. What do you know about it?

Jim Robinson
09-01-2009, 07:09 PM
It must be a large PB line. I've never seen it other than in 1/2" and 3/4" size. If it's that large, it might be worth a try. I don't imagine it would matter to the pex line.

Ron Hasil
09-01-2009, 08:17 PM
There is a nice pipe bursting set up for water services, I bet that is what he is going to use. When I find a link of it I will post

John Kogel
09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
I was talking to a home owner today. They have a broken polybutelyne line(big blue). A local plumber is going to fix it by pulling a polyethylene (PE) line through the existing PB line.

They say it's being done with success and very little disturbance to the grounds.

It was the first I had heard of this repair method. What do you know about it?There may be some misinterpretation here. The plumber may be planning to attach the new to the end of the old and then use the old pipe to pull the new pipe into the wall. I've done this myself, switching polyB for Pex.

No way you could force a new plastic pipe into an existing poly line without reducing the size to half.

Jim Luttrall
09-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Pipe Bursting Equipment Sales (http://www.rjmcompany.com/trenchless_pipe_bursting.htm)
This may be what Ron is refering to, I am familiar with sewer line applications, but this is supposed to be for 3/4 inch on up.

Ron Hasil
09-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Here is the system I own and used. It can burst a 5/8" line and pull a 2" line right behind it. The services I have done where old 5/8" and 3/4" services and pulled 1" and 1 1/4" lines in its place.

TT Technologies (http://www.tttechnologies.com/products/ltbrst/gcrackjr/index.html)

John Kogel
09-02-2009, 04:39 PM

It was the first I had heard of this repair method. What do you know about it?OK I get it, it's an outdoor supply line. :confused: I was thinking inside the walls??? :confused:

For a line in dirt, as you can see, no problemo.:D