PDA

View Full Version : Steel column structural question

mathew stouffer
09-01-2009, 06:53 PM
These look like they may have been installed during a remodel. Besides the forms and missing bolts, is this acceptable. The footings seem inadequate.

Bruce Ramsey
09-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Besides the forms and missing bolts, is this acceptable. The footings seem inadequate.

Besides these problems, is this OK. If you have problems, it is not OK.

Footings have to be on undistrubed soil or compacted soil. Were holes dug down to undistrubed soil to pour those footings? Did they compact the soil before pouring those footings? The wood forms serve as an attractive nusance for WDO.

Screw jacks are temporary. So buy definition are not acceptable for permanent strucrutal supports. They are not secured at the top or bottom.

And what is up with insulation on the floor and the walls of a crawlspace?

mathew stouffer
09-01-2009, 08:02 PM
The insulation is a DIY mess. So it sounds like you addressed my questions, screw jacks are temporary. Correct?

Raymond Wand
09-01-2009, 08:13 PM
The sectional jacks are installed upside down and contrary to manufactures instructions, the steel rods are not sold with those jacks so they are certainly not certified for use with the jacks.

Haven't seen sectional jacks this small, have they been cut down? If so they have been modified.

Michael Thomas
09-02-2009, 04:51 AM
Mathew,

Take a look here: Adjustable Steel Columns (http://www.octoberhome.com/articles/adjustcolumn/adjustcolumn.html)

mathew stouffer
09-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks

Ron Bibler
09-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Sell the jacks to pay for the repairs.:D

Best

Ron

Vern Heiler
09-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Sell the jacks to pay for the repairs.:D

Best

Ron

I need 6 of the type with hand adjustment for my boat trailer.. let me know when to look on e-bay:D .