PDA

View Full Version : Internet access

Rick Cantrell
09-20-2009, 12:25 PM
For the past 10 years I have had cable Internet. Very fast and reliable, but somewhat costly. I decided to check into wireless Internet. I am using a wireless USB modem from Cricket Wireless. Not as fast as cable, but still fast. On streaming videos there is some pause to buffer the video.
Almost no noticeable difference on this forum (IN).
Plus the wireless allows me Internet access almost anywhere, and will work on my home,laptop and office computers.
Cost is $40 a month, vs $60 for cable.
At this time I'm pleased with it, and plan to discontinue cable modem service at the end of this month.

Matt Fellman
09-20-2009, 01:35 PM
I did some research on the wireless cards and read that the information is sent in packets rather than streaming constantly. That's why videos and music are 'bumpy'.

The convenience of the cards are great but the performance leaves a bit to be desired. Also, my wife and kids would go nuts if I took the internet access with me when I left. But you're right... cable is expensive. I've been slumming it for the last few months with a 750K DSL connection and I don't know how much longer I can live with it. It's only $30 a month though.

David McGuire
09-20-2009, 01:40 PM
We have wireless internet here at our house to. The cost is $40 a month for a 1.5 DL speed and 750KB upload speed. Its not on a card though. The ISP has nodes up on towers all over the state and when you subscribe they come out and put a yagi antenna on your house. The signal is then routed inside via a CAT5 junction box to the tiny modem, which we plug into a router. Works pretty good, but at times the speed drops and there is also latency. Works better than satellite internet, especially in a storm. But out here in the rural area, we don't have DSL or cable lines in this part of the county.

Rick Cantrell
10-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Just thought I would give an update on the wireless Internet.
I have been using it for over a month now. Works fine, and I have no complaints. Still not as fast as cable, but I did'nt think it would be.

Jim Robinson
10-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Do you not even have a modem inside your house? When you say wireless, I'm thinking like my house. I have DSL hard wired to a modem. From there I have a wireless router, which also passes a wired connection to my desktop, but a wireless connection to this lap top and to my wife's lap top.

Are you getting a wireless signal from outside your house from an internet provider? We don't have that option here.

Rick Cantrell
10-21-2009, 01:24 PM
"Do you not even have a modem inside your house? "
No, I do not have a modem or router. It is a USB device.

"When you say wireless, I'm thinking like my house. I have DSL hard wired to a modem. From there I have a wireless router, which also passes a wired connection to my desktop, but a wireless connection to this lap top and to my wife's lap top. "

"Are you getting a wireless signal from outside your house from an internet provider?"
Yes, ISP is Cricket
Others also have it. Sprint, Version, T Mobil, AT&T has one that is also a wireless router. Works on up to five computers at once.

Jerry Peck
10-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Cricket wireless is just an air card, like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc.

Cricket Wireless | Cricket Broadband (http://www.mycricket.com/broadband/)

It would not be able to replace my cable modem as then my two desk top computers (mine and my wife's) would be without internet.

If you are only operating from your notebook or netbook computer, you could use any air card service for that.

Jim Robinson
10-21-2009, 02:30 PM
OK, I get it now. My brother uses an air card when he is traveling a lot.