PDA

View Full Version : Power strips for kitchen outlets

Matt Fellman
09-21-2009, 09:57 AM
This is new construction so apparently the AHJ was okay with but I've never seen this before. There are no standard kitchen counter top outlets. Instead, there are power strips secured against the underside of the cabinets (yes, they are GFI protected). Any comments?

Matt Fellman
09-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Pictures....

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 10:12 AM
They may be too high above the countertop.

Are they less than 20" above the countertop?

Most cabinets are set at 18" above the countertop, some slightly higher.

Matt Fellman
09-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks JP.... they're exactly 18" above the surface. I was more thinking about the amount amount of wattage going through them. I the strips rated for that?

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks JP.... they're exactly 18" above the surface. I was more thinking about the amount amount of wattage going through them. I the strips rated for that?

Matt,

You won't get any more wattage through them than the 20 amp circuit will carry.

Just make sure those assemblies are rated for 20 amps, that would be the main thing.

Those are made in two types, with a cord and plug and without a cord and plug for being permanently wired in. Those should be the ones made without the cord and plug, and would need to be rated for 20 amps.

Matt Fellman
09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Matt,

You won't get any more wattage through them than the 20 amp circuit will carry.

Just make sure those assemblies are rated for 20 amps, that would be the main thing.

Those are made in two types, with a cord and plug and without a cord and plug for being permanently wired in. Those should be the ones made without the cord and plug, and would need to be rated for 20 amps.

Yep.... no plug - thanks.

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 11:11 AM
http://www.wiremold.com/shared_content/pdf/ed497.pdf

http://www.wiremold.com/shared_content/pdf/ed1412.pdf

15 amp rated receptacles on #12 AWG 20 amp rated circuit conductors, suitable for use on 20 amp circuits with multiple outlets (which they are).

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 11:12 AM
I am more interested in those lights and how they are wired, especially with those exposed wires.

Are they cord and plug connected with the plugs cut off, are they cord and plug connected and plugged into those outlet strips with their wires secured in place (making them improper), or are they ???

Gunnar Alquist
09-21-2009, 11:46 AM
I am more interested in those lights and how they are wired, especially with those exposed wires.

Look like the 12v "pucks" to me, but it would be necessary to find the transformer.

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Look like the 12v "pucks" to me, but it would be necessary to find the transformer.

And the permissible way to route, secure and support those wires.

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Here are some 120 volts ones: http://www.americanlighting.com/LVPX_ALLVP.pdf

Note that the bottom of the cabinet must be:
"Mount at the top of cabinets or under cabinets or any horizontal surface that is at least 5/8” thick."

And that they be spaced at least:
"Install linked units with 12" or 24" extension cords with at least 12" spacing between units in well ventilated areas."

ken horak
09-21-2009, 01:22 PM
They are Plugmold. Made by wiremold.
Which is a surface mounted raceway.
Which is perfectly legal way to place the outlets provide they meet the required measurements Jerry spoke of.
There is no code that requires the outlets to be in the wall over the counter,

David McGuire
09-21-2009, 04:36 PM
OK, side question. What was the counter top made of? If granite did ya do a radon test? Just getting into this, an awful, awful lot to learn.

Brandon Whitmore
09-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Are any home inspectors recommending or performing radon tests on granite countertops?

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 05:01 PM
OK, side question. What was the counter top made of? If granite did ya do a radon test? Just getting into this, an awful, awful lot to learn.

Are any home inspectors recommending or performing radon tests on granite countertops?

Oh NO!

Not this topic again! :eek:

:)

Many will say no, some will say yes, others will ask why.

Do you recommend a radon test whenever there is a natural stone floor in the house?

How about when there is granite around the tub or shower?

David McGuire
09-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Well, here we are, got a awful, awful lot to learn. Good thing I am in the right place to get the "real" info on all of this.

Speedy Petey
09-21-2009, 05:18 PM
They are Plugmold. Made by wiremold.
Which is a surface mounted raceway.
Which is perfectly legal way to place the outlets provide they meet the required measurements Jerry spoke of.
There is no code that requires the outlets to be in the wall over the counter,100% correct.

Those are not "power strips".

Speedy Petey
09-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Are any home inspectors recommending or performing radon tests on granite countertops?OMG! Please don't tell me you guys actually recommend this. :D :eek:

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 05:22 PM
OMG! Please don't tell me you guys actually recommend this. :D :eek:

Peter,

Come on now, Peter, don't git yer shorts all hitched up like dat ... :D

Yeah, there are some here who do, but they mostly come from elsewhere to profess that. :)

Speedy Petey
09-21-2009, 05:23 PM
I am more interested in those lights and how they are wired, especially with those exposed wires. If they are low voltage what's the problem. Even if they are line voltage and terminated properly.
The wire CAN be exposed. I would hardly call that subject to physical damage.

I will say. I HATE those line voltage kits. They make it seem so easy to install them, when it is near impossible to do legally.

Speedy Petey
09-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Peter,

Come on now, Peter, don't git yer shorts all hitched up like dat ... :D

No man. I'm good. I just think that's funny as hell. :D

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I will say. I HATE those line voltage kits. They make it seem so easy to install them, when it is near impossible to do legally.

I suspect those are 120 volt lights, which is why I mentioned them.

Rick Cantrell
09-22-2009, 04:42 AM
" Not this topic again! :eek: "

OK Jerry
Your choice, Religion, Radon, or Mold.
Whats it gonna be boy?
:D

Jerry Peck
09-22-2009, 09:37 AM

OK Jerry
Whats it gonna be boy?

MOULD!

We ALL ... okay, MOST of us ... KNOW that is a mouldy mess to step into, when one should just step around the mess. :)

David McGuire
09-22-2009, 11:05 AM
OK, got it everybody. Went back and searched the old threads.

Joe Asta
09-23-2009, 02:30 PM
15 amp rated receptacles on #12 AWG 20 amp rated circuit conductors, suitable for use on 20 amp circuits with multiple outlets (which they are).

I'm curious, shouldn't they be 20 amp outlets?

Jerry Peck
09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm curious, shouldn't they be 20 amp outlets?

Joe,

When there is one receptacle on one circuit, the the receptacle is required to be rated at least as high as the circuit overcurrent protection (to limit the receptacle from burning up from being rated lower than what the trip point of the overcurrent device is).

When there is more than one receptacle on a circuit, the circuit overcurrent protection device is to protect the circuit conductors, and it is unlikely that the circuit will be overloaded by one appliance plugged into one receptacle, which means the most common scenario would be two or more appliances plugged in and overloading the circuit and tripping the overcurrent device, thus each one can be 15 amps instead of being required to be 20 amps.

Joe Asta
09-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks...My curiosity has been satisfied.

I guess if I would of looked at my kitchen outlets and saw that they were 15A outlets / 12 AWG wire on a 20A breaker I wouldn't have been so curious.

Ted Menelly
09-23-2009, 04:13 PM

OK Jerry
Whats it gonna be boy?

You forgot politics :p

Rick Cantrell
09-24-2009, 04:59 AM

"You forgot politics :p"