PDA

View Full Version : Ground on service panel

Ryan Stouffer
09-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Are you allowed to ground tv equipment on a service panel?

Thanks

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Ryan,

Did you take a photo closer up and viewing from the bottom up to it?

It is required to be grounded to the grounding electrode system.

Also, that whatever-it-is-ground-fitting looks like it will interfere with the opening of that door.

Ryan Stouffer
09-21-2009, 03:34 PM
No, I did not. But that opening is how you access the service conductors. I was able to open and close without much difficulty. The ground is for the cable tv as far as I can tell.

Gunnar Alquist
09-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Are you allowed to ground tv equipment on a service panel? Thanks

Ryan,

Those things are a pain in the neck. Like JP said, they are often installed so the cover cannot be opened. I recommend removing the clip and attaching directly to the grounding electrode system.

Ryan Stouffer
09-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Gunnar, thanks.

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I recommend removing the clip and attaching directly to the grounding electrode system.

Which is where it is supposed to be connected anyway, and what I thought I said???

Gunnar Alquist
09-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Which is where it is supposed to be connected anyway, and what I thought I said???

<Sigh>

OK... I'll modify it.

Ryan,

Those things are a pain in the neck. Like JP said, they are often installed so the cover cannot be opened. I agree with Jerry about attaching directly to the grounding electrode system.

Is that better Jerry? :rolleyes:

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Is that better Jerry? :rolleyes:

Gunnar,

THIS is the part I was talking about: :p

It is required to be grounded to the grounding electrode system.

I recommend removing the clip and attaching directly to the grounding electrode system.

I *was just wondering* if the way I worded it was not as clear as the way you worded it. :confused:

Gunnar Alquist
09-21-2009, 05:39 PM
JP,

I think it was just similar to the "last man in" theory. I said it last, therefor I said it.