PDA

View Full Version : Service box melting

Ryan Stouffer
09-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Has anyone seen breakers and other parts of a service panel that look like they have been slightly melted or burned.

Thanks,

Ryan

Gunnar Alquist
09-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Wow, something's not right. Looks like a Square D panel. Probably arcing at a circuit breaker connection. Might be able to purchase new guts and replace those.

Ryan Stouffer
09-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I don't know what the heck is going on with it.

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Someone accidentally hit that main bus bar with a wire which should not have touched it.

I'll bet that lead to some sparks and fireworks, and possibly even to someone having to change their pants afterward. :eek:

I'm guessing that the VERY HIGH CURRENT DRAW which it took to make those arc marks are what overheated that one bus and melted that plastic.

That interior panelboard NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. Chances are it can be replaced easily as it is a Square D and they should be able to find a matching replacement, or at least a matching interior panelboard which is listed with that enclosure.

Speedy Petey
09-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Now THAT is an overheated panel. :D

That was not caused by a fault or spark. That was a long term overheating, not a quick jolt.
I call loose connection at the top of the buss.

Jerry Peck
09-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Peter,

And that serious arcing, melting, burning of the top of the bus bar without discoloring the bolted connection? ;)

Speedy Petey
09-21-2009, 05:28 PM
That to me looks like SERIOUS overheating. I don't see that as an arc. Looks like the plating has flaked off from the extreme heat.
A clearer pic would tell the tale though.

Bill Kriegh
09-21-2009, 05:38 PM
That was not caused by a fault or spark. That was a long term overheating, not a quick jolt.
I call loose connection at the top of the buss.

X2

I'd be willing to bet a CLEAR and in focus pic would show the nut on the bussbar stud is discolored a little bit.

Worked on one with the same appearance about a week ago. Nut was loose.