PDA

View Full Version : door tread or landing

dan orourke
06-08-2007, 06:45 PM

Jerry Peck
06-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Dan,

Just because a landing is *not required* by *minimum* code does not mean that one is not allowed to install a landing.

Of course, though, *if* that is a landing, then it must meet the requirements for a landing, and, if not, with the size of it, I would state that the landing (that's what it looks like it is supposed to be to me) is not in conformance with the requirements for landings and could cause trip and falls.

It also has a handrail which is not required, and which does not appear to be in conformance with the requirements for a handrail.

Are the risers heights the same or within the 3/8" maximum riser height variation allowed?

Open tread risers should not be more than 4" open either.

The garage door operator button looks to be a bit low too.

Thom Walker
06-08-2007, 09:31 PM
And tell Big-Foot to move his shoes from in front of the incorrect handrail.

Scott Patterson
06-09-2007, 09:35 AM
okay, i'll ask...what is wrong with the handrail and why is not one required?

Does not have a return at the top, and most likely at the bottom.

Needs to be "graspable" on both sides of the rail. In the photo it looks like only one side is "graspable". It could be both sides but it does not look like it.

Without really seeing it in person I would also say that the rail needs to start at the landing and not at the step. If it was me, I would have built the handrail on the other side of the steps, it would have made it safer.

Not required because of the number of steps(risers)

Rick Cantrell
06-09-2007, 10:55 AM
I looks to me that the handrail was put there to hold onto while they removed thier shoes.

Jerry Peck
06-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I looks to me that the handrail was put there to hold onto while they removed thier shoes.

Nah, the handrail ends at the angled wall, the shoes are along the angled wall. :)