PDA

View Full Version : Rafter configuration

Jeff Eastman
06-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Jim Luttrall
06-08-2007, 07:33 PM
That does not appear to be shims. I think that is a splice on the hip / ridge.

Thom Walker
06-08-2007, 08:14 PM
That is a splice on a hip ridge. Below is the brace to bearing. This is the method recommended in the old TDI Windstorm code. The splice scabs would have needed to be minimum 4 feet long and minimum 2 feet either side of the splice. That would have assumed the splice was a butt cut. If the builder used a diagonal or any cut other than a straight line, the splice scabs would have to be longer. 22 nails were required, 11 on either side and a brace to bearing was required as close to the splice as possible at 45* or less.

Richard Rushing
06-08-2007, 11:54 PM
So, would this be considered a repair item? NO
And if so, would you recommend SE or framer to repair ? NO

rr

Thom Walker
06-18-2007, 07:50 PM
When they are done as talked about earlier, I make note of them and don't refer anything. When the hips are done like the one in the picture, i.e. short scabs and no (not in picture) bracing, I note and suggest that an SE evaluate. You'll have to make the call. I believe in another thread it was determined that IRC does not specifically address it. Therefore, I think, but several others will probably know, that what is appropriate is going to fall in the category of whether or not an SE says it's okay.

I have had cases where an SE has said' Your Inspector is an idiot. It's fine." I have had cases where a substantial part of the roof has been rebuilt because an SE says, "the splices are inadequate." Not surprisingly, the former category happens when the builder calls the original SE. In any event, my report stands as written.

Eric Shuman
06-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Jeff,

That's where I typically see them braced.

Eric

Thom Walker
06-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Jeff,
In this particular case, that bracing isn't doing much good because the rafter is incorrectly spliced. The brace is on the half that has the 2 foot or greater scab. That leaves the lower, incorrectly scabbed section unsupported unless there is a correctly sizd Purlin very near it. Regardless, the scabs are not correct. I say SE time and you have done your job.

Eric Shuman
06-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Thom,

Am I seeing the photo incorrectly? The incorrect scabbing aside for a minute ( I agree that it is incorrectly scabbed), it looks to me that the brace is under the bottom board of the splice so in effect the upper board of the splce is resting on the lower board which is braced. I would think that would in effect be bracing the upper board as well, or did I misunderstand your comment? :confused:

Eric

Jim Luttrall
06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
It appears from the nailing pattern (nails going up through the 2x) that this is a diagonal scarf joint with plywood gussets. I would not have a problems with the location of the bracing, the brace would be in the middle of the joint, supporting both sides. I think Eric has it right.

Jim Luttrall
06-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Unless I am looking at your picture wrong, the brace looks to be under the approximate center of the splice. It is hard to tell how long the splice is, but perhaps maybe 12" or more of diagonal mating surface with the brace maybe 6" in from one side by the way I look at it.

Jerry McCarthy
06-19-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't see this being a big deal. The contractor's nail gun was over-charged, but other than that nothing is going to go anywhere. Sloppy work is about all I see. No PE call.