PDA

View Full Version : California Exterior Water Heater Code

Cynthia Najera
09-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Is a drain pan required for new constructed condominium when the water heater is located outside in a self-contained closet, on a base, on patio of a second story unit? :confused: (The upstair patios have floor drains installed)

Gunnar Alquist
09-23-2009, 08:19 AM
Is a drain pan required for new constructed condominium when the water heater is located outside in a self-contained closet, on a base, on patio of a second story unit? :confused: (The upstair patios have floor drains installed)

Seems to me that if hot water can get to the interior floor, damage a ceiling below or can scald someone, it should be controlled. If the floor is waterproofed and has a drain, then I would think it would be OK. However, a drain pan might still be required, even if redundant. Otherwise, I do not have a specific code reference for you. Is the floor at the interior of the closet waterproofed?

Mitchell Toelle
09-25-2009, 10:10 AM

Good question Gunnar. Cynthia??? This is something I would like to know for the future. Anyone??? Any pictures Cynthia?