PDA

View Full Version : garage quandry

Erik Elwood
06-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Ok I'll admit I am kinda a newbie to this whole inspecting thing -- as such I need help from timt to time. Could one of you long time experts help me out with this one please.

Here is the description of the newer detatched garage. I will list the layers starting from the inside out.

2x4 stud -- felt paper -- vinyl siding

Am I missing something here?

Bruce Breedlove
06-08-2007, 10:59 PM
No sheathing?

No diagonal bracing?

Richard Rushing
06-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Where you are at, I would expect to see (a minimum) of 1/4 inch Fanfold board (polysteyerene insulation board).

Rich

Jon Randolph
06-09-2007, 04:16 AM
Erik,

Why do you need to know such information?

If it is visible and you mention it, it will be more informative for the client, If you can't see it, that doesn't always mean that it is absent. If you do mention it and can't see it and it is later dicscovered that it is not present when you said that it was, it soon will be and at your expense.

Like Richard said, there is usually be at least 1/4" fan board, which you should not see (except maybe under the starter strip, I don't look) because it is a fire hazard if left uncoveredand diagonal bracing or sheathing is needed to prevent racking and the eventual (probably pretty quick) collapse of the structure (sheathing may be visible from the inside). The lack of sheathing, or fanfold to provide a smooth surface for the siding will be apparent as will be the lack of sheathing or diagonal bracing for stability.

FYI. I usually pay more attention to the defficiencies.

Jerry Peck
06-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Erik,

Why do you need to know such information?

FYI. I usually pay more attention to the defficiencies.

I believe he is asking to see if there is a deficiency there.

I would suspect that the sheathing or lateral bracing would be visible from inside, then the felt (it's the barrier behind the vinyl siding), then the vinyl siding outside.

David Banks
06-09-2007, 06:31 AM
My understanding is sheathing is not required as long as diagonal bracing in place. The Boston Globe years ago did a spotlight series on Toll Brothers and they were putting siding up with no sheathing.

BARRY ADAIR
06-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Ok I'll admit I am kinda a newbie to this whole inspecting thing -- as such I need help from timt to time. Could one of you long time experts help me out with this one please.

Here is the description of the newer detatched garage. I will list the layers starting from the inside out.

2x4 stud -- felt paper -- vinyl siding

Am I missing something here?

Not sure if you question is structure or siding related.

Others addressed both but here is vinyl info:

http://www.vinylsiding.org/publications/Installation_Manual_english.pdf

Erik Elwood
06-09-2007, 11:52 AM
sorry -- my post was kinda tounge-in-cheek I shoulda made that more clear

There was no sheathing (just those three items) and minimal bracing you could with no effort shake the garage quite a bit. I'll be honest, I do not know if it correct to code -- but it sure was not correct to common sense. Felt like a light wind would knock it over.

It was a rental duplex and the owner was a total slum lord, just the worst "repairs" I have ever seen -- felt sorry for the renters. This kind of inspection always makes me a bit tense, so much wrong I am always wondering if I caught it all