PDA

View Full Version : Condensing Unit Clearances

Rick Hurst
09-28-2009, 08:04 PM
I didn't know if post should be HVAC, Plumbing (Gas lines) or Pools.

We once had this discussion but can't seem to find it while searching.

As you can see in my pic below the gas line and the pool heater is against the condensing unit.

Comments are welcomed.

rick

Jim Luttrall
09-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I'll bet it is wrong on manufacturer's clearances on both the a/c and pool heater.

Bruce Ramsey
09-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Most a/c manufacturers require a min. of 12 inch clearance along the sides and 48 inches overhead.

Two units side by side would require a combined clearance of 24 inches between units to allow for proper air flow.

Here is a link to a question I asked on Jerry's forum regarding access to electrical connections for an a/c and it spun off into clearances between and around units.
http://www.askcodeman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141

Jerry Peck
10-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Regarding the gas line, no clearances, however, regarding everything else, there would be a minimum of 12" on each side and 30" (36" when connected to electrical power) on the service access side.

Also, the unit(s) are not allowed under the overhang roof runoff (installing a gutter is easier than moving the unit).

Rick Hurst
10-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Regarding the gas line, no clearances, however, regarding everything else, there would be a minimum of 12" on each side and 30" (36" when connected to electrical power) on the service access side.

Also, the unit(s) are not allowed under the overhang roof runoff (installing a gutter is easier than moving the unit).

Jerry's comment above got me to wondering how many inspectors actually write up the condensing unit being located directly under the eaves with no water diverter on the roof above or guttering.

Some homes I find the water diverter flashing on the roof, many do not.

rick

Ron Bibler
10-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Jerry's comment above got me to wondering how many inspectors actually write up the condensing unit being located directly under the eaves with no water diverter on the roof above or guttering.

Some homes I find the water diverter flashing on the roof, many do not.

rick

Rick I call it all the time along with the 12" air space.
These are some of the things that never get corrected.

Kind of like a Zinsco panel... most of the inspectors in my area don't say much about them.

Best

Ron

Eric Barker
10-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Rick I call it all the time along with the 12" air space.
These are some of the things that never get corrected.

WHAT! People ignore home inspection reports? Tell me it ain't so. ;)

Bob Harper
10-04-2009, 06:40 AM
gas piping:
-is there protection around that galv. steel pipe? Consider cathodic protection.
-how does your AHJ interpret the sediment trap requirement for outdoor applications?
-should replace the shutoff with modern listed ball valve. Those ground key valves either seize up or leak. Not allowed by our gas utility around here.
-merchant coupling should be replaced as it is too weak. Need Sch. 40 coupling.
-is there a ground union inside the appliance cabinet?
-what is there to protect the gas pipe from a lawn mower? physical protection.