PDA

View Full Version : CONFUSED about my CLOSET FURNACE

Jan Fields
09-28-2009, 08:10 PM
I recently moved into a home that has a closet furnace in the living room against a wall....
What makes me woder is it looks funny to me compaired to the normal furnace that I had in my last home...

Well my question is..

Is this safe and ok to have it out in the open in a living room.. I believe that the landlord placed it there because there is no closet for it to go into.; or small room...
The furnace is probably 4 feet tall and has a hugh pipe coming out of the side and going up and across and into the wall, and the air filter just lays on the open gap on the top of the unit...
It seems to heat ok, but the home is max 800 sq. feet
Any info on this eye sore in my living room would be appreciated thx.
I can post a photo if requested

Jim Luttrall
09-28-2009, 08:16 PM
It is probably a poor choice decor wise but likely not a significant safety hazard as long as you don't allow anything to be stored too close or children too near. No rule against it that I know of unless the manufacturer has stipulations concerning clearance to combustibles.
If you could post a picture or two it would be very helpful.

Gunnar Alquist
09-28-2009, 08:32 PM
What is a "closet furnace?"

Richard Stanley
09-29-2009, 04:35 AM
One that hasn't 'come out' yet.:D

Jack Murdock
09-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Jan,
A picture is worth 10,000 words..

Jack

Joseph Farsetta
10-01-2009, 08:59 AM
My concern would go to age, condition, clearances, furnace venting, and fresh air supply. Manufacturer's installation requirements are also a key part of the puzzle. A photo would be great!.

Gunnar Alquist
10-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Guess she wasn't that concerned.