PDA

View Full Version : Condensate Drain Line

Ryan Stouffer
10-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Is it permissible to allow the condensate drain line to drain onto the crawlspace floor. The floor is gravel.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Stouffer
10-01-2009, 12:57 PM
New post

Billy Stephens
10-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Is it permissible to allow the condensate drain line to drain onto the crawlspace floor. The floor is gravel.

Thanks,

Ryan
No.

Eric Barker
10-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Agreed, it's wrong.

Marc M
10-01-2009, 08:47 PM
I think the code requires it to drain into potted plant, not to be confused with "pot plant" however.

Wayne Carlisle
10-02-2009, 07:58 AM
M1411.3 Condensate disposal. Condensate from all cooling
coils or evaporators shall be conveyed from the drain pan outlet
to an approved place of disposal. Condensate shall not discharge
into a street, alley or other areas where it would cause a
nuisance.

Would this create a nuisance?

Tom Rees
10-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Ryan, I am an inspector in Utah also. I see 95% of condensate drains insalled wrong. Mostly no trap in line. The reason being is that the furnace and A/C are covered by mechanical code and drains are in plumbing code.:D

Charles Sanders
10-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Out here in California, condensate lines drain into the sewerand must have a gap for clean out. Seems a lot of nasty stuff likes to grow in condensate.

csanders
San Diego

Debra Monte
10-02-2009, 12:20 PM
From the photo, it does appear that the condensate is draining directly into the gravel. However, did you check to see if there is a proper drain that is below the gravel. Obviously there is no lift pump. Did you ask about what is below the gravel?

Scott Patterson
10-02-2009, 12:25 PM
One problem with draining it under the home is the possibility of water collecting in the crawlspace.

I would say that it is wrong simply because you don't water in your crawlspace. It also lacks a trap on the line.

Jeffrey L. Mathis
10-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Re: draining to the sewer.
Most utilities frown on that. They are generally running at maximum all the time and any extra effluent is not welcome. it's actually illegal in my area.
Plus they tell me it is more acidic than normal.

JLMathis

Brian Johnson
10-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I have another question to add. Why does the drain line need a trap if the piping is not draining to the sewer and it is draining to the outside gutter or something else? Serious question - so don't jump all over me.

Tom Rees
10-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Brian, It has to do with negative pressure back into evaporator coils and several other problems that are created with no trap present. There was an excellent PDF file posted not long ago on this. Do a search of this site.:D

Leigh Goodman
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I believe a certain amount of conditioned air is lost through the drain line to outside resulting in higher cooling costs for less effective cooling performance.
Trap it for comfort and economy.
But I could be wrong.

Jim Luttrall
10-05-2009, 04:41 PM
This is something I stole and polished a little to fit my reports.

Probably the most misunderstood portion of a condensate drain system is trap installation. The primary purpose of a condensate trap is to prevent air from moving in or out of the coil box or air handler during operation. Traps must be installed in a manner that will stop the air from passing through, but still allow the condensate to drain from the condensate pan. Without a trap, this doesn’t happen. Air that is lost through the condensate drain in systems with the coil on the pressure side of the fan is primarily an efficiency issue. Traps on the negative-pressure side of the fan prevent contaminated air from the attic or other spaces from being drawn into the house. Failure to install a trap can be likened to drilling a hole in the ducts for each drain connection.

Tom Rees
10-05-2009, 06:31 PM
This is an axcellent description of trap design and function.:D