PDA

View Full Version : Items a homeownes should correct before an inspection

Dan Harris
10-02-2009, 08:13 AM
I recieved a call from a reporter from my local paper [ for the real estate section] yesterday asking me this question.
It caught me a little ole me :) [ she called me out of 5-600 inspectors] off guard, some of the first basic things that I thought about were..
Change burnt out light bulbs.
Replace dirty AC filters,
Fix plumbing leaks
Trim trees and bushes around the home
Adjust windows that don't lock or slide properly
Replace batteries in smoke detectors
Make sure all rooms are accessible
If major repairs were made provide the buyer the name and phone # along with copy of the bill from the contractor

If your local paper called you what would you suggest?

Ted Menelly
10-02-2009, 08:21 AM
I recieved a call from a reporter from my local paper [ for the real estate section] yesterday asking me this question.
It caught me a little ole me :) [ she called me out of 5-600 inspectors] off guard, some of the first basic things that I thought about were..
Change burnt out light bulbs.
Replace dirty AC filters,
Fix plumbing leaks
Trim trees and bushes around the home
Adjust windows that don't lock or slide properly
Replace batteries in smoke detectors
Make sure all rooms are accessible
If major repairs were made provide the buyer the name and phone # along with copy of the bill from the contractor

Well.....Everythihng..........Of course that is not going to happen.

The things to fix if they cannot afford much would be filters, batteries, minor plumbing leaks, bushes, light bulbs and such.

Any of the smaller items like trimming bushes and all is a must. That being for the reason that when the inspector starts writing up the report and everything is negative thru the entire report because it is filled from front to rear with all these little things along with mixed in major concerns the buyers are blown away with so much wrong with the home.

If all the small items are fixed then the report shrinks dramatically and does not look so overall bad.

Ron Bibler
10-02-2009, 08:23 AM
I Don't think thats going to happen...

It maybe hard for the banks to do any of these things. most of the agents can't even get the water or Elec. on

Best

Ron

Dan Harris
10-02-2009, 08:50 AM
I Don't think thats going to happen...

It maybe hard for the banks to do any of these things. most of the agents can't even get the water or Elec. on

Best

Ron

Nows the time to start training them :D

I can relate to the water and elec on. Mon I had two repos, per the realtor, and listing agent everthing was on.
[ Thank goodness I also had a 5000 sq. ft. 1 yr warrany inspection. ]:)
1st one no water, come to find out the water company shut it off and would not turn it back on until the previous bill was paid.
The buyer already paid the past bill for the electric to get that turned on.

2nd one,had water, but no electric.

I'm not sure why the elec or water co would not turn it on, at least for the inspection, where it stands now they aren't getting paid for the past bill, and not getting paid for new service.

Rick Hurst
10-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Remove the cat box from the bathtub and clean up the dog shat from the yard around the foundation area.:mad:

rick

Jim Robinson
10-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Put the GFCI's in where they are supposed to be. Almost every house unless it's brand new has missing GFCI receptacles somewhere.

Eric Barker
10-03-2009, 07:37 PM

Hire a professional inspector to go through the home and evaluate the conditions for a real list of things to do. Heck if I want some newspaper doing what I get pair for.

wayne soper
10-04-2009, 04:34 AM
Just an honest, Truthful, disclosure.

Nick Ostrowski
10-04-2009, 05:14 AM

This would be nice if the owners actually knew what the problems were and how to identify them. The sellers of a house I inspected stated in the disclosure that the house has a sump pump and that it has run in the past.

The house had so sump pump or even a sump pit.

Raymond Wand
10-04-2009, 05:29 AM
Install house number on the front of the house where it can be clearly seen from the street! Seconds count especially in an emergency response situation day or night.

How many times have we all had trouble finding a house number that either is not present, installed behind a bush, or on a rock in the garden, or brass or other coloured number that blends in with the house itself.

Also clear around the furnace and remove items from closet so access to the attic is easier.

Eric Barker
10-04-2009, 05:53 AM

Sellers don't understand how up front disclosure can benefit them.

When the inspection finds a significant condition that's not on the disclosure, and it's one that you figure the seller had to know about, the trust factor begins to diminish rapidly when you don't see it listed on the disclosure. I've seen buyers walk simply because of this. On the other hand, they can be very willing to work with sellers who spill the beans.

Scott Patterson
10-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I had a similar call from a local paper last year. One statement I made to the reporter was highlighted when the article came out. This is it:
Prepare your current home like you would expect your new home to be when you purchase it!

Ron Bibler
10-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Prepare your current home like you would expect your new home to be when you purchase it!

Scott you must live in a perfect world... L.O.L.

I have a check list I send out from time to time.

I should put that on my web-site. Talking to my self:D

Best

Ron

Kent Keith
10-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Definitely. Pick up the dirty clothes and underwear, flush the toilets, get the 16 year old out of bed, clear some of the crap out from under the sinks and last but not least, go away.

And clean the bathtub.

Jon Errickson
10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Make sure the gutter downspouts are connected.

Matt Bezanson
10-06-2009, 04:45 AM
"and last but not least, go away"

...and take those yapping little dogs with you!

DetroitMatt

James Morrison
10-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Super list - I'm going to consolidate it in a Word or Excel file.:)