PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional ground clamp

John Kogel
10-02-2009, 08:32 PM
The grounds are tucked out through a cable clamp. Is it wrong? Yes. How wrong is it? :confused:

The tie-bar for two breakers is a galvanized nail. The breakers don't match, one is 15A the other is 20A, feeding a baseboard heater. Is it a hazard?

The third beef is I couldn't view the main fuses, unable to open the door on the main disconnect panel.

Gunnar Alquist
10-02-2009, 08:46 PM
John,

It seems to me that the cable clamp is just that... a cable clamp. Not a grounding terminal.

Jerry Peck
10-02-2009, 09:15 PM
The grounds are tucked out through a cable clamp. Is it wrong? Yes.

Yes, it is wrong.

How wrong is it?

It is very wrong.

The tie-bar for two breakers is a galvanized nail. The breakers don't match, one is 15A the other is 20A, feeding a baseboard heater. Is it a hazard?

Wrong and wrong.

Gunnar Alquist
10-02-2009, 09:20 PM
The third beef is I couldn't view the main fuses, unable to open the door on the main disconnect panel.

Yes, the disconnect must be accessible.

Eric Barker
10-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I've heard debate over this but - as far as I know, any splicing of the grounding conductor must be irreversible.

Jerry Peck
10-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I've heard debate over this but - as far as I know, any splicing of the grounding conductor must be irreversible.

Only the one from the service equipment to the first grounding electrode of the grounding electrode system. After that, any approved splice connection is acceptable, such as split bolt connectors.

John Kogel
10-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks JP, so a split bolt would be an approved clamp for terminating the branch grounds?
Is this something DIY's should learn? :)

The third beef is I couldn't view the main fuses, unable to open the door on the main disconnect panel.Should this be called a service disconnect panel, without the 'main' part?

Jim Port
10-05-2009, 12:52 PM
John,

A split bolt is for 2 conductors, not a bunch of grounding conductors. The proper method would be to install an auxillary ground buss and terminate them there.

Jerry Peck
10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks JP, so a split bolt would be an approved clamp for terminating the branch grounds?

A split bolt is for 2 conductors, not a bunch of grounding conductors. The proper method would be to install an auxillary ground buss and terminate them there.

What Jim said.

Thank you Jim.

Michael Carson
10-05-2009, 04:22 PM
How about running your ground wire to the hot water pipe coming out of the water heater.

Gunnar Alquist
10-05-2009, 05:12 PM
How about running your ground wire to the hot water pipe coming out of the water heater.

That would not be acceptable as you cannot be sure if the hot water pipe will contact ground. Are you sure that is not a bonding wire?