PDA

View Full Version : mystery items in panel

John Arnold
10-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Here's something for some of you to ponder until some smarty pants blurts out the answer.
Hint: It's in a condo.

John Kogel
10-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Here's something for some of you to ponder until some smarty pants blurts out the answer.
Hint: It's in a condo.I have an answer but I'm not a member of the smarty pants club. :)

Gunnar Alquist
10-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Some kind of amperage meter?

Rollie Meyers
10-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Current transformers, prob. for metering .

John Kogel
10-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Those guys are both pretty smart. :)

Fred Warner
10-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Hint: It's in a condo.

Current transformers used for CT metering. :) Also known in the trade as "donuts".

Steven Stafford
10-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Would you guy's mind being a little more specific as to the actual purpose of these "doughnuts"? Are they for remote a meter reader? Are the common area lights run off of this service and are the "doughnuts" used to measure the difference in the electrical usage between the two loads?

John Arnold
10-07-2009, 05:02 PM
It's in a 50 +/- year old apartment/condo building where the tenants/condo owners pay only the electric bill. Apparently, instead of having separate services and power company meters for each unit, they install these current sensors to meter usage.

Steven Stafford
10-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the info John, I have a few questions if you don't mind my asking.
I am assuming that in this set up that there is one electric meter and service for x number of units rated at x number of amps.
Questions:

does the owner/management have a separate bank of sub meters?
is there a bank of disconnects for the units that are setup this way?
is a "main breaker" at the panel shown not called for due to the age of the unit?