PDA

View Full Version : Cut Rim Joist

mathew stouffer
10-09-2009, 08:07 AM
The rim joist was cut to access the crawl space. If there is no load bearing wall directly over the area, do you mention this.

Phil Brody
10-09-2009, 10:14 AM
It doesn't look like it was supporting anything but the one joist 1/2 off the plate and the other looking tilted may need some attention.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
10-09-2009, 10:26 AM
This appears to be under a Stairway supported by platform framing (what's above - open stairs with headroom clearance, right!?!?). Yes I'd mention it and include the photo, recommending further review/remediation. Unknown what the platform's framing looks like from below but the area should be boxed in/blocked at a minimum to prevent warping/shifting/rolling of the floor joists and to properly transfer and support the loads. Hard to judge the scale of things in the photo, but the platform subfloor looks a bit under-engineered (looks a bit thin) and has been cut through past the next furtherest floor joist (nearest the stringers). The platform floor is bearing for the stairway. Was this a pre-fab split level?

You might want to consider reviewing some basic materials on framing, bracing and blocking. There are a number of free publications available from the American Wood Council - check their library for free downloads, a number of them are available for free in .pdf format.

David OKeefe
10-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't want to get off the subject...But I will. That insulation looks like it is installed upside down. Am I correct?

Robert Dalga
10-09-2009, 11:36 AM
In the 2nd photo it looks like the inside 2x rim isn't hardly bearing on the plate??? The outside (or one in front) rim is buckling also. Yes, I would write it up.

mathew stouffer
10-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks. Yes it a split level, and the insulation paper vapor barrier is exposed.

Jerry Peck
10-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks. Yes it a split level, and the insulation paper vapor barrier is exposed.

The insulation is also not up against the floor as it should be.

Not to worry, though, with no insulation in that opening, the entire inside is not open to the uninsulated area, almost like not having any insulation under it at all (with an opening in the insulation that large).

mathew stouffer
10-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks H.G, that is a great site.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
10-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks H.G, that is a great site.

You're welcome Mathew.

Michael Schirmer
10-09-2009, 03:36 PM
'ANY' cut joists should have a header.
502.10 Framing of openings.
Openings in floor framing shall be framed with a header and trimmer joists. When the header joist span does not exceed 4 feet (1219 mm), the header joist may be a single member the same size as the floor joist.
Single trimmer joists may be used to carry a single header joist that is located within 3 feet (914 mm) of the trimmer joist bearing. When the header joist span exceeds 4 feet (1219 mm), the trimmer joists and the header joist shall be doubled and of sufficient cross section to support the floor joists framing into the header. Approved hangers shall be used for the header joist to trimmer joist connections when the header joist span exceeds 6 feet (1829 mm). Tail joists over 12 feet (3658 mm) long shall be supported at the header by framing anchors or on ledger strips not less than 2 inches by 2 inches (51 mm by 51 mm).