PDA

View Full Version : Valley rafter gusset

Greg Jenkins
06-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Here is a picture of a valley rafter with an OSB gusset. Is a gusset acceptable in this area and if so, is OSB appropriate for this application or should the gusset be made of plywood?

Jerry McCarthy
06-11-2007, 08:08 AM
No like! However, if they had installed a 2X support post under the valley rafter joint along with a gusset plate, I'd have bought that.

Tony Mount
06-11-2007, 08:36 AM
How do you post a new message on here?

Thom Walker
06-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Greg,
That gusset you're looking at is commonly referred to as a scab. The rafter has been spliced. If it's going to be there, it should have scabs on both sides and a brace to bearing beneath, as close to the splice as possible. The scabs should extend minimum 2 feet beyond the splice on both sides of the splice.

I do not find the method discussed in IRC. Someone else might. However, I have seen it in the former Texas windstorm code and I have seen it employed in many municipalities. I've seen the technique used in engineered framing. I write it up when any of the components I mentioned are missing. Otherwise, I note the number and locations of the splices and whether or not I see any visible evidence of failure as a result.

Jerry Peck
08-03-2010, 05:26 PM
How do you post a new message on here?

Ummmm ... Tony ... just like you did. :rolleyes:

chris mcintyre
08-03-2010, 06:16 PM
What if the spliced valley rafter is right above a stairwell, where it is impossible to install a post?

You could install a properly sized and braced beam over/across the stairwell to sit your post on.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
08-03-2010, 07:06 PM
LEAVE THE DEAD THREADS ALONE.2007 thread got hit by future spammer from China - they love to pick old threads with 1,000+ viewings.Let it rest in peace (and remember to check dates as you read threads).