PDA

View Full Version : Cultured Stone

Vern Heiler
10-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Should I see flashing or at least caulk at the top of this cultured stone siding.

Bruce King
10-12-2009, 05:20 PM
yes, that would be a good place to test some of that "50 year" caulk.

I think flashing would be the best since it is not going to be checked or maintained by the owner unless the owner was a home inspector.

Billy Stephens
10-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Should I see flashing or at least caulk at the top of this cultured stone siding.
This Say's Yes.

Vern Heiler
10-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks Bruce and Billy, I floundered around on Google and couldn't find it.

Brian Robertson
10-18-2009, 10:37 AM
So would the caulk be sufficient, or if not so, how would that appear when flashed? If everything was done properly in behind that stone, is there something else missing to make it right? Thanks guys:)

Jerry Peck
10-18-2009, 12:05 PM
So would the caulk be sufficient, or if not so, how would that appear when flashed?

Brian,

It would probably look no different than that shown in the photo (except for the rake or barge board is supposed to overhang the top by at least 1"). The rake drawing is the closest I could find to that, unless you went with the Wall Assembly drawing in page 15.

http://www.masonryveneer.org/pdf/mvma030909.pdf

Scroll down to page 25 for the Rake - Flush drawing.

Brian Robertson
10-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks Jerry, much appreciated. So the way it stands an inspector could be concerned about all the framing of that corner behind the stone as the side looks the same as the top. And then is there a place for it to drain if water is getting back there, we can't tell from the pics. I'm also curious what type of siding that is and how the water drains over that trim piece(just on top of the stone). Thanks again.

Vern Heiler
10-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks Jerry, much appreciated. So the way it stands an inspector could be concerned about all the framing of that corner behind the stone as the side looks the same as the top. And then is there a place for it to drain if water is getting back there, we can't tell from the pics. I'm also curious what type of siding that is and how the water drains over that trim piece(just on top of the stone). Thanks again.

Siding is cement board (Hardie Board) Trim is MDF.

Brian Robertson
10-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Thank you Vern.:)