PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ID of trim boards

Scott Patterson
10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
I need some help and or information on a type of trim board I have never seen It has been used on a home that has Hardy plank siding on it. A critter, most likely a squirrel has been gnawing on sections of it.

The inside of the board is a hard white almost crystalline material. I have no idea what it is. Any ideas??

Jerry Peck
10-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Scott,

From the photos it looks like some type of foam.

Did it look that way from your vantage point up close?

H.G. Watson, Sr.
10-14-2009, 03:01 PM
May have been an Architectural Foam Molding (Moulding), made of EPS (expanded polystyrene). Most of what I have seen usually has a hard white shell on the exterior side and are considered paintable. I've usually encountered these as applied on masonry, stucco, EIFS, and with some residing projects involving vinyl, aluminum, and composite siding.

Squirels, racoons, mice, rats, and other critters are not phased by its presence - they chew through the exterior "shell" and right on through it. On the other hand it is thought to be termite proof (although I have seen carpenter ants infest behind it).

H.G. Watson, Sr.
10-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Found a link picturing some examples on the www.

Architectural foam,arches,columns,mouldings,home remodeling,staining,additions,Modern Home Improvements Inc (http://www.modernhomeimprovements.com/Architectural_Foam.asp)

Jerry Peck
10-14-2009, 03:08 PM
May have been an Architectural Foam Molding (Moulding), made of EPS (expanded polystyrene).

The foam I have in mind is that much finer grained stuff like is used for the interior plastic (or foam, which ever it is) molding which have the wood look material wrapped around them.

What it looks like to me is not EPS, but is much finer grained.

However, it is susceptible to the same problems as the EPS foam H. G. referred to.

Also, while termites do not eat EPS, they do tunnel through it to wood inside.

Scott Patterson
10-14-2009, 03:34 PM
This was not like any foam I have ever seen. It was hard and I could chip it out with a screwdriver almost like sandstone. I guess it almost had the density of pumice.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
10-14-2009, 03:40 PM
See if you can get a sample of "FoamStone" sent to you, see if it seems similar after you chip off the surface and let it be exposed to the elements for a year of seasonal shifts.

I can't see the detail in the photos that indicate anything other than what I've described.

It doesn't look like Harditrim to me in the pictures but that's about how I'd describe it assuming you had to use a screwdriver to chip it.

Jerry Peck
10-14-2009, 04:18 PM
What I have in mind is XPS, extruded polystyrene. That is a lot denser that EPS (expanded polystyrene).

While that could be high density urethane foam, that is white in color and most urethane foam is yellowish in color. Urethane foam is available in 40 pounds per cubic foot densities, probably even greater, so it makes for a very dense foam too.

A.D. Miller
10-14-2009, 06:21 PM
It could be cellular foam concrete being used as mortar. I have seen this stuff applied, but not to fiber-cement siding. Looks like a nightmare to me.

Jerry Peck
10-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Scott, that look identical to some baseboard I bought recently at Home Depot. Dense urethane foam and white. No idea if it is rated for exterior use. Probably made from peanut oil:)

Fritz,

That's the stuff I'm referring to. You sure it is urethane and not extruded polystyrene? Could be urethane. :confused:

Scott Patterson
10-15-2009, 06:29 AM
This is a vacant REO house way out in the country, I might just go back out and see if I can snatch a small piece of the trim away from one of those critters to see if I can figure it out. ;)

John Kogel
10-17-2009, 05:10 PM
see if I can snatch a small piece of the trim away from one of those critters to see if I can figure it out. ;)Don't nobody feed the squirrels where you are, Scott? :)

If that squirrel was standing on the ground when he did that, could be a PCB mutant. Watch your back out there. :)

Elizabeth Chambers
07-13-2018, 04:54 PM
Scott,
I bumped this thread way, way, up because I was wondering if you ever determined what that trim was. Do you happen to remember?
thanks