PDA

View Full Version : Height of Gas and Water Shut Off Valves

Nick Ostrowski
10-15-2009, 04:11 AM
I looked at a condo yesterday where the main water shut-off valve was 7 feet high and above the water heater and plumbing lines. The gas shut-off valves were a few inches higher and in an equally hard area to get to.

Is there a maximum allowable height for these shut-offs? The unit is 4 years old.

John Arnold
10-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Nick - The 2006 IRC says the main water shut-off shall be "accessible".

John Arnold
10-15-2009, 05:53 AM
And the 2006 IRC says the gas shut-off valves shall be located, yada yada, "so as to provide access for operation".

Scott Patterson
10-15-2009, 05:55 AM
I looked at a condo yesterday where the main water shut-off valve was 7 feet high and above the water heater and plumbing lines. The gas shut-off valves were a few inches higher and in an equally hard area to get to.

Is there a maximum allowable height for these shut-offs? The unit is 4 years old.

Not that I'm aware of for the water, just accessible and that can even be at the meter. For gas in my area, the shut-off valve has to be within 3 feet of the appliance.

Nick Ostrowski
10-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks guys. The valves are accessible but a smaller person will probably need a step stool or a long stick to get to them.