PDA

View Full Version : Furnace in garage

Ryan Stouffer
10-20-2009, 03:10 PM
This furnace is in the garage. The return air registers are in the house. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ryan

Gunnar Alquist
10-20-2009, 03:27 PM
This furnace is in the garage. The return air registers are in the house. Any recommendations? Thanks, Ryan

Ryan,

Not sure what you are looking for. Is there some specific question or do you want us to do your job?

Jerry Peck
10-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Well, the duct work is metal, required to be 26 gage.

Is that an uninsulated duct going up to the right?

It is not permissible to screw and support the vent and conduit to that metal duct.

Insulation, what is left of it, has the facing exposed and should be covered and protected with drywall.

Ryan Stouffer
10-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Gunnar, no I am not asking you to do my job. Maybe I should have been more specific and asked are furnaces allowed to be in garages and exposed like this? This is the actual garage that the furnace is sitting in.

Jerry Peck
10-20-2009, 05:40 PM
are furnaces allowed to be in garages and exposed like this?

Yes, but all the duct connections and connections to the air handler need to be sealed (tape, mastic, or other approved sealant applied in the approved manner).

Gunnar Alquist
10-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Gunnar, no I am not asking you to do my job. Maybe I should have been more specific and asked are furnaces allowed to be in garages and exposed like this? This is the actual garage that the furnace is sitting in.

Ryan,

Sorry, that came out more harsh than I intended.

Don't forget vehicle protection (bollard).

Can the plenum support the weight of a furnace? I generally see them supported on a wood framed platform with the plenum located under the platform. Guess you don't have earthquakes there.

On an unrelated note, I see a duct running up through the ceiling. Is that living space above without a separation wall?

Matt Fellman
10-20-2009, 06:10 PM
This always makes me laugh when it comes up. It must be a regional thing.... 95% of new construction in my area has the furnaces in the garage. As JP said, the duct penetrations must be 26 gauge. Check fire sealant/taping around vents, ducts and other penetrations to maintain fire separation (gaps around the back of the plenums is a common problem). And, as Gunnar mentioned, vehicle protection.

Those are the main things that come to mind.

mathew stouffer
10-20-2009, 06:25 PM
What about the exposed vent. Just a thought.

Bob Harper
10-20-2009, 07:19 PM
duct sealing
makeup air
bollard
support for everything

Brandon Whitmore
10-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Crap, I wasted my time responding to the other thread before seeing this one...........

David Bell
10-24-2009, 07:20 AM
I would be concerned with the lack of a combustion air pipe as storage of chemicals is present in most garages.