View Full Version : Tool to safely inspect older panels

Philippe Heller
10-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Here's a tool we use to inspect older electric panels. It safely holds the cover open so that my guys don't have to hold it, or worse rest the cover on their heads. Their hands are free to remove the dead front. We got it from the manufacturer at Panel Pal - Inspector and electrician tools (http://www.panelpal.com)

Jerry Peck
10-22-2009, 11:20 AM
My first thought was ... YIKES! ... Is that *metal*?

Confirmed when I clicked on the link: "Annodized Aluminum" ... YIKES!

Last thing I would want to do it use a PIECE OF METAL to prop the cover up like that. PLASTIC - okay, I could go with that.

I can just imagine installing that, removing the dead front cover, looking around, bumping the cover with your head/hat, which then causes that METAL to drop down INTO the LIVE panelboard ... YIKES!

(I know, they did not spell "anodized" correctly.)

Brandon Whitmore
10-22-2009, 07:15 PM
I've always used my head. :D

Matt Fellman
10-22-2009, 08:35 PM
The whole idea of making panels out of metal has always confused me a bit. It sure seems like a nice piece of hard non-conductive plastic would do the trick. I can understand 100 years ago when it's all there was but today there's plastic everything... why not electric panels?

Brandon Whitmore
10-22-2009, 09:14 PM
why not electric panels?

Bonding raceways would be interesting.

Rick Hurst
10-22-2009, 11:15 PM
I've always used a paint stick rod to hold up the panel. I rest one end in a brick mortar joint and place the other end at the end of the panel cover.

Stucco or EIFS, I used the old noggin as most guys if the panel won't stay up on its own.:o


Ron Bibler
10-22-2009, 11:29 PM
I always just ask the agent or buyer to hold it open for me:D



Jack Feldmann
10-25-2009, 06:08 AM
I yank the cover off and throw it in the bushes.

Mike Schulz
10-26-2009, 03:52 PM
I yank the cover off and throw it in the bushes.


John Kogel
11-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I yank the cover off and throw it in the bushes.:):):) You could use a Panel Pal to help pry those hinges loose.

Philippe Heller
11-06-2009, 05:35 PM
I sent the company feedback from what was posted here. They are now insulating the Panel Pal. It was a popular request. I've asked for an exchange which I will get. I still love it and I got it for all of my inspectors. In my opinion, it is the best safety tool for inspectors since the voltage detector.