PDA

View Full Version : Polybutylene?

Vince Santos
06-12-2007, 08:13 PM
It's been a while since I have seen Polybutylene. I'm pretty sure this is PB but just want some other opinions.

Condo built in 2005

thanks

Richard Rushing
06-12-2007, 08:17 PM
PEX

Rich

Bruce Breedlove
06-12-2007, 08:21 PM
That is PEX. PB is grey.

Vince Santos
06-12-2007, 09:19 PM
PEX, that's right. sheesh, I need a day off here.

Thanks!

Matt Fellman
06-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Last time I looked into PB I think I was told the stuff with metal connectors was much more reliable that plastic connectors. Has anyone else heard similar?

Bruce Breedlove
06-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Last time I looked into PB I think I was told the stuff with metal connectors was much more reliable that plastic connectors. Has anyone else heard similar?

Better, but still not good. They hold the fittings together much better but do nothing to keep the pipe from splitting.

Richard Rushing
06-26-2007, 04:10 AM
This was from my Saturday inspection... if you will notice the plastic fitting-- there is a leak there.

Yep. you gott'er right.

Rich

David Banks
06-26-2007, 06:29 AM
I had a short section to toilet the other day and Jerry Pecks PB handbook came in handy. (Passed on by Jerry) Identified by ASTM Standard number.

Scott Patterson
06-26-2007, 06:31 AM

I had PB with copper fittings and clamps in my old home, when I sold the house it was 17 years old and I had never had a problem with the PB pipe or fittings. Truth be known I inspected hundreds of homes with PB and the only ones that I ever found a problem with were the ones with the plastic clamps and fittings. It is my understanding the areas with high amounts of chlorine in the water are the areas that have the most problems with PB pipe.

James Duffin
06-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Scott...

If you don't mind sharing, what statement do you put in your report when you find poly with metal fittings in a house?

Scott Patterson
06-26-2007, 11:53 AM
I kind of say what I just said in my post.

I tell my client that PB pipe has been associated with problems and that most of the problems are with the plastic fittings. In some areas the chemical make-up of the water also causes problems to the PB pipe. I might also tell them that I did not see any leaks or other problems, but this does not mean that they can't occur in the future.

FYI:
PB pipe is not the only pipe that can be damaged by the chemical make-up of the water. Copper can be eaten from the inside out by some of the chemicals that are found in municipal water systems.

Dan Phillips
06-26-2007, 05:26 PM
FYI:
PB pipe is not the only pipe that can be damaged by the chemical make-up of the water. Copper can be eaten from the inside out by some of the chemicals that are found in municipal water systems.

Yeah in Beautiful Oakland,TN they are having this exact problem with copper reacting with...oh I forgot what chemical it was. There are a number of homes less than 3yrs old that are having alot of supply pipe failures.