PDA

View Full Version : wiring in unfinished basement area

daniel nantell
10-29-2009, 04:51 PM
You see a lot of exposed nm cable in unfinsished basements areas, I always recomment they placed in conduit or finshih off with drywall to protect the wiring. How high does it need to be protected, I thought it was 7 feet .

ken horak
10-29-2009, 05:53 PM
The 2008 NEC article 334.15 does say that exposed cable run on walls in unfinished basement areas, shall be protected from physical damage and that conduit can be used. A bushing needs to be used where the cable goes into the conduit. The3 cable must also be secured within 12" of the point the cable enters the conduit.

bob smit
10-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Daniel; Please give more info such as...location, wall construction, ceiling and the like. Post a pic if u have one. Then we can respond intelligently.
Bob Smit, County Electrical Inspector

Scott Patterson
10-30-2009, 01:29 PM
I personally see no need in protecting NM cable in a unfinished basement when the cable is properly supported in the stud cavities and up along the ceiling joist bays.

ken horak
10-30-2009, 06:12 PM
I take "unfinished basement" as plain concrete block or concrete walls with out studs. If there are studs and the NM Cable is stapled to it then that is the protection that is needed. If its cables for receptacles / switches on the block / concrete walls then protection is needed

Mike Schulz
11-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Ditto with Scott, Cables should be run through the studs in the bays. If they are outside the bays they need protected.