PDA

View Full Version : wooden stair treads

John Dirks Jr
11-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Wooden stair treads can be slippery, especially with wet shoes.

Do you ever mention this potential hazard to your clients? Do you write about it in reports?

Are there any products that can make the stairs less slippery while not loosing the aesthetic appeal of the natural wood treads?

Billy Stephens
11-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Are there any products that can make the stairs less slippery while not loosing the aesthetic appeal of the natural wood treads?

Sandpaper.. . :D
.(cross grain. ) :D

brian schmitt
11-04-2009, 10:35 AM
spike strips?:D or try a little sand mixed in the finish material.

Gunnar Alquist
11-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Wooden stair treads can be slippery, especially with wet shoes. Do you ever mention this potential hazard to your clients? Do you write about it in reports?

Yes. Wood decks too. Particularly after I have slipped on them. :cool:

Markus Keller
11-04-2009, 02:51 PM
That's why we write up handrails. :) Seriously though, I generally don't mention it unless ... the treads have a gloss finish, they feel especially slippery or if myself or someone else slips on them during the inspection. There are lots of ways to remedy the situation; carpet, sanding, coat of poly with some sand added in, grit strips taped to the front edge. If someone asks I'll tell them but it isn't something I push.
Wolmanized porch treads without any real pitch and standing water are probably the worst though.

Jerry Peck
11-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Wolmanized porch treads without any real pitch and standing water are probably the worst though.

Define "without any real pitch".

What I am envisioning you are meaning would be a code violation in and of itself.

Markus Keller
11-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Jerry, what I had in mind when I wrote that was not the overall stringer run not having a pitch but the common crappy workmanship I see. Of course the stringer run should have a pitch for run-off. The more common problem I run into is improper install of the 2x10 or 2x12 stair treads. Only 2-3 nails, wrong nails, nails driven straight down and not angled, or not attached with screws, riser not nailed to back of tread, crown installed upside down ...
What ends up happening of course is that the treads cup creating a concave top plane. Water and leaves just sit there and get slimy. The stringer run may have a pitch but, to repeat my pathetic slang, the stairs have no real pitch for water run-off. I've had to grab that guardrail hard more than a few times.

Ron Bibler
11-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Recommend GOLF Shoes...:D

One shoe can be slippery and another not. Like plastic shoes...

Like Gunnar stated decks can be very bad this time of the year...

Best

Ron