View Full Version : What is this called?

Rick Burkman
11-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Anyone know what this type of foundation stabilization structure is called? How about info on installation, etc.? Saw them today on a multi-unit condo structure that was originially built on wooden piers near Lake Superior and, apparently when the wood started to sink and rot, the building was supported by these structures.

Rick Burkman
11-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I'll try attaching the photos this time! Sorry about that!

Richard Pultar
11-07-2009, 07:22 PM

Randy Mayo
11-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Richard is right, it is used to jack up and support a foundation that has settled.

Gunnar Alquist
11-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I have heard them called helical piles or helical piers. I have seen these a couple of times. While they are apparently effective, I wonder about their longevity. The metal will probably rust out eventually. It seems to me that encasing them in concrete would be a good idea, but maybe too expensive.

John Kogel
11-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Helical Pier Systems - Engineered Helical Pier Foundation Solutions (http://helicalpiersystems.com/)

PierTech Systems - Helical Piers and Anchors For Foundation Repair, Tie-Backs, Tilt-Up, and New Construction - Engineering (http://www.piertech.com/architects/products.htm)