PDA

View Full Version : Balcony Slope Requirements

A.D. Miller
11-09-2009, 02:15 PM
My brain has failed me once again. What is the required pitch, slope away from the house for an attached concrete balcony?

John Arnold
11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm going with minimum 1/4" per foot.

This may be more info on balcony slope than anyone wants or needs:
http://www.concretees.com/people/bruce/pubs/Understanding%20Balcony%20Drainage.pdf

A.D. Miller
11-09-2009, 03:19 PM
JA: That was my thought too, and I reported it thusly. You seem to be the only one awake this afternoon. The two old bats must be roosting.:D

Gunnar Alquist
11-09-2009, 05:22 PM
My brain has failed me once again.

AD,

Just how long were you gone? Did you remember your flashlight when you walked out the door this morning? :D

Jerry Peck
11-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm going with minimum 1/4" per foot.

Yeppers, 1/4" per foot.

This may be more info on balcony slope than anyone wants or needs:
http://www.concretees.com/people/bruce/pubs/Understanding%20Balcony%20Drainage.pdf

John,

One thing I notice is not addressed in there under post tensioning is that the placement of the post tension anchor dead ends or live ends (depends on the design and the location) vertically from the center of the slab and the angle the tendons take from the anchor can cause the balcony end to tip up or down when tensioned, even when the tables (forms supporting the underside of the slab) are still in place (which means that slab sag has not yet occurred).

Then, when the tables are removed, you add or subtract the slab sag from what the post tensioning caused, and you can get some really weird slab slopes.

By the way, great information in that link, thanks.

A.D. Miller
11-10-2009, 04:12 AM
Yeppers, 1/4" per foot.

JP: I know this is the design norm, but is there an ICC citation to support it?

Jerry Peck
11-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Aaron,

House or condo?

If a house, then it would arguably be ACI 318.

If a condo, then it would be ACI 318.

ACI 318 is the standard to which that would would be required to conform, and thus, by reference, be code.

A.D. Miller
11-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Aaron,

House or condo?

If a house, then it would arguably be ACI 318.

If a condo, then it would be ACI 318.

ACI 318 is the standard to which that would would be required to conform, and thus, by reference, be code.

JP: Thanks!