PDA

View Full Version : Valley material

David Banks
06-16-2007, 03:04 AM
What type of material is this? Should it be painted?

Eric Barker
06-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Copper. No need to do anything except be thankful they didn't use something else.

Mark Nahrgang
06-16-2007, 05:24 AM
Eric,

Your post seemed pretty confident that it's copper, so I'll ask you my follow-up question. And this is an honest question, I'm not being argumentative. :)

I always thought copper had either a new "golden" color, or a nice green patina. This seems to be more of an aluminum or lead color. Apparently copper roofing comes or patinas in this color too. Do you know what causes that?

Thanks for any education you're willing to share on this point. :)

Mark

Jerry Peck
06-16-2007, 06:51 AM
To me, it's flatness told me it must be some type of metal.

I would have thought lead from its color.

Could also be terne.

It does look to be soldered.

I'm not saying it is not copper, but I would have expected a slightly greenish color for it to be copper.

Chad Fabry
06-16-2007, 06:58 AM
I'm 90% sure that it's terne coated steel. Yes, it should be painted.

Robert Schenck
06-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Aside from what type of material it is, … to me it’s very awkward and unappealing. It looks like an over-sized gutter. Design wise, I can see it catching a large amount of rain water and channeling it down to one area, … which I think in turn will cause premature wear on the shingles in that area of the roof. That's my 2 - cent opinion. :rolleyes:

Eric Barker
06-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Mark,

I hope I didn't jump the gun. Chad now has me wondering. I agree about the color. In my area such detail would be done in copper.

Richard Rushing
06-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Coated steel roofing-- my guess.

Rich

Jerry Peck
06-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Design wise, I can see it catching a large amount of rain water and channeling it down to one area, ...

That's exactly what it is designed to do.

… which I think in turn will cause premature wear on the shingles in that area of the roof.

Does not cause a problem if the end of the flashing is turned down and out.

There really is no other good way to handle the water collected between those three roof surfaces. Sure, you could put in a flat roof, other than losing the roof style to a raised flat center, you have not changed anything - the water from that flat roof and the other two roofs will STILL need to be drained off someplace ... over the shingles.

(Unless they install a roof drain, which is very seldom done on residential roofs - I've seen some, but not many, and not unless there is a parapet wall around the perimeter too.)

David Banks
06-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks all. It did not look like lead or copper. Probably terne.
Hey Robert. Do you realize you put a tractor in the most exclusive street in my town! The Gall!