PDA

View Full Version : Is this mold/mould treatment?

Daniel Leung
11-18-2009, 10:36 AM
From the City's record, this single house was a grow-op 8 years ago, but the owner seems know nothing when they moved in 6 years ago. There are no health concerns reported by the owner with children.
Silver colour spray paint covers the floor joist and plank in basement, also under the stairs (see all photos). Some white paint on the original stubs (see the first photo taken from the furnace room). No mould or silver paint found in the attic and main floor. Are these paints for the mould treatment?

Ken Rowe
11-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I would say the silver paint was the grower's attempt to reflect heat and light back to the plants. Indoor air quality testing would probably be a good idea.

Jim Luttrall
11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Silver paint is typically used to cover smoke damage, never heard of it for mold.

Scott Patterson
11-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Silver paint is typically used to cover smoke damage, never heard of it for mold.

I agree with Jim.

In the first picture it looks like the 2x at the top has some checkering/alligatoring under the paint. The stringer on the stairs also look like they have some soot smudges. Might just be the way the flash bounced also...

I would just report that you found silver paint and that this commonly used to cover smoke and soot from a fire. Tell them to check with the owner about a previous fire in the home.