PDA

View Full Version : mold question

brianmiller
11-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Had a client call today about an inspection I did about a month ago. They said there was "black mold" under the bathroom sink on the back of the cabinet wall. I going to look at the situation tomorrow.

I remember the house well. There was a lot of stuff under the sink and I know there wasn't any readily visible leak from the fixture or sink drain connection.

Now assuming the "black mold" is from a previous leak condition that had been repaired, is the "black mold" a concern now?

I guess I'm going to have to eat this one if there is a leak from behind the wall or shutoff valves, huh?

Brian

Rick Hurst
11-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Had a client call today about an inspection I did about a month ago. They said there was "black mold" under the bathroom sink on the back of the cabinet wall. I going to look at the situation tomorrow.

I remember the house well. There was a lot of stuff under the sink and I know there wasn't any readily visible leak from the fixture or sink drain connection.

Now assuming the "black mold" is from a previous leak condition that had been repaired, is the "black mold" a concern now?

I guess I'm going to have to eat this one if there is a leak from behind the wall or shutoff valves, huh?

Brian

Black mold always becomes important to their lawyer.

So are you wearing those x-ray glasses that allows you to see the inside of that wall?

brianmiller
11-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Ha!

Wish I did have x-ray vision...nevertheless. gain, if this "black mold" is old, due to a previous leak, would it be a concern?

Brian

Jim Weyenberg
11-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Brian, Like Rick said, you can't see inside that wall! Don't be so quick to give back your fee for something so trivial. Remember what Coaimhin Connell taught us, mold (color means nothing) is a symptom of a moisture problem, either past or present. Stop the moisture, stop the mold. I suspect the mold is surface mold and can be easily washed off with Dawn dish soap. And I suspect the cabinet is not vented at all and they probably did not use the exhaust fan enough, that could make it a condensation concern, again venting.

Keep your money

Jim Weyenberg
HouseMaster Inc.
NE. Wisconsin

Jim Luttrall
11-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Before you go, print this off to give to them.
A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home | Mold | Indoor Air Quality | Air | US EPA (http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html)