PDA

View Full Version : Is fiber cement considered masonary?

chris mcintyre
11-20-2009, 07:21 PM
I need some thoughts/opinions on weather or not fcs (fiber cement siding) is considered masonary.

For example if you were going to build a house is a neighborhood that requires the front of the house to be "75% masonary" should fcs count towards this percentage. Stucco counts is it considered masonary?

Stephen Meyer
11-20-2009, 07:29 PM
no it is not. Check the ES service for your product.

Jerry Peck
11-20-2009, 07:39 PM
I need some thoughts/opinions on weather or not fcs (fiber cement siding) is considered masonary.

For example if you were going to build a house is a neighborhood that requires the front of the house to be "75% masonary" should fcs count towards this percentage. Stone counts is it considered masonary?

Fiber cement is not masonry.

Stone, depending on what it is, *may* be "masonry", depending on how the requirement is word.

If the requirement says 'masonry look' then fake stone would give a 'masonry look', however, if the requirement said 'masonry' then only "real" masonry would be acceptable, i.e., concrete block, real stone, brick, and the like.

Also, if all is says is 'masonry' I am guessing that they really meant 'masonry look' ... :) ... but that is not what they said ... :eek:

chris mcintyre
11-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Jerry,
I was editing my OP when you replied, I was thinking stucco (specifically eifs) not stone.

But you bring up a good point is the fake stone similar in composition the fcs?

And yes you are probably right on the "masonary look" but it was worth a shot.

Jerry Peck
11-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Stucco counts is it considered masonary?

Nope. Stucco is not masonry either.

Note that the correct spelling, and pronunciation, is "masonry". Many people say "masonary", but "masonry" is the correct way.

chris mcintyre
11-20-2009, 08:55 PM

Note that the correct spelling, and pronunciation, is "masonry". Many people say "masonary", but "masonry" is the correct way.

Proposals, contracts, change orders, etc.., I wonder how many hundreds of times I have written masonary :o .

Steven Turetsky
11-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm a little confused about the question, and I hate to play the Devil's advocate, but...

What about stucco over brick or block???
or how about EIFS over brick or block???

Wouldn't hardcoat stucco over cmu's be masonry?

Is the requirement related to the structure or the finish, or both?

chris mcintyre
11-21-2009, 05:15 AM

Steven,
This is a restrictive covenants question, so in this case just the finish.

Corn Walker
11-21-2009, 05:24 AM

It's a finish thing. For some reason that continues to elude me, people like to move into neighborhoods where they have control over what their neighbors can and can't do (which is reciprocated). They're very concerned about things like clothes lines (verboten), cars in the driveway (you can wash them in the driveway but you can't repair them), and what finish to use on your home exterior (fake brick preferred over cedar clapboard). Supposedly this is done in the name of "preserving property values."

My brother lives in such a neighborhood in AZ and sure enough, all of the property values in his "community" have fallen equally by 60%. Can't tell if that was the expected result or not.

A.D. Miller
11-21-2009, 05:40 AM
From the IBC:

MASONRY. A built-up construction or combination of building
units or materials of clay, shale, concrete, glass, gypsum,
stone or other approved units bonded together with or without
mortar or grout or other accepted methods of joining.

The key terms are "units", "bonded together", and "methods of joining", which would not apply to Portland cement stucco (plaster). Fiber-cement siding is not a masonry unit, but rather a hybrid material made of sand, cement and cellulose fiber; is not installed by masons; and cannot be used for structural support.

Fiber-cement siding cannot even produce the appearance of masonry cladding, but only that of lap or panel siding.

To the original poster: what the hell is "masonary"? Is that like a holy brick layer?:D

Corn Walker
11-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Fiber-cement siding cannot even produce the appearance of masonry cladding, but only that of lap or panel siding.

Are you sure about that?

Nichiha USA, Inc. (http://www.nichiha.com/prod_stone_panels.htm)

chris mcintyre
11-21-2009, 09:00 AM
To the original poster: what the hell is "masonary"? Is that like a holy brick layer?:D

Thanks for pointing that out..........agian :) .

Mr. Walker,
Excellent link, thanks.

John Arnold
11-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Proposals, contracts, change orders, etc.., I wonder how many hundreds of times I have written masonary :o .
Don't feel bad. There's a mason in my neighborhood that has it spelled that way on his truck.

A.D. Miller
11-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Are you sure about that?
Nichiha USA, Inc. (http://www.nichiha.com/prod_stone_panels.htm)

CW: If that looks like masonry to you, you might need to have your eyeglasses checked.:D

Steven Turetsky
11-21-2009, 04:45 PM
This whole thing sounds like fuzzy math, it seems there are different possible interpertations. I once had property in a community that wanted everything to look the same. Windows, doors, mailboxes, etc. If this is the case it is easy, just look at every other unit.

Another reason could be fire resistance, or maybe the head of the association's brother in law is the local masonry supply.

Perhaps you should get a clarification from the management or HOA.