PDA

View Full Version : what the ?

John Arnold
11-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Bath sink drain ...

Bruce Breedlove
11-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Weird. Whatever it is it appears to have leaked judging by the stains.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
11-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Without xray vision I'll hazard a guess you're looking at a bottle trap set in the floor of the vanity, a type of internal partition trap, which are not allowed by most codes (partitions can fail/erode allowing passage of gas and they don't scour, hence the handy clean out at the top for clearing snags).

John Arnold
11-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Without xray vision I'll hazard a guess you're looking at a bottle trap set in the floor of the vanity, a type of internal partition trap, which are not allowed by most codes (partitions can fail/erode allowing passage of gas and they don't scour, hence the handy clean out at the top for clearing snags).

Thanks. This is below an S trap in a 1974 home, if that makes any difference. S traps are rampant in these parts, even in new construction. I imagine many inspectors don't even bother.

John Kogel
11-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks. This is below an S trap in a 1974 home, if that makes any difference. S traps are rampant in these parts, even in new construction. I imagine many inspectors don't even bother.It's a big step up from the slop bucket under the table tho, ain't it? What yer problem? :)